Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does Size Matter?!

mikelo

OK, I have seen some pretty wild things, but check out this drag car under construction built to race. I might have a couple turbos from a 1/12 scale Porsce I might be able to use!! Keep your children and pets away from the front of this thing.

bigturbos.jpg

Edited by mikelo

I might have a couple turbos from a 1/12 scale Porsce I might be able to use!!

Good luck with those turbos. I finally gave up trying to find something usable in scale (big rig trucks, F1 kits, etc) and made my own. It still needs a bit of finishing, but it's close to being ready, though I plan to make another impeller. I made it from a 1:87 scale wheel but the 1:1 impellers have six vanes, so I need to find a six-spoke itty-bitty wheel and try again.

Now I plan to tackle a couple of projects similar to that Mustang.

1220.jpg

1224.jpg

Edited by Mark Brown

Those huge turbos are becoming pretty common in the Outlaw 10.5 series. A few years ago most of the turbo cars were running single turbos and most hovered around the 380-430 cubic inch range and the majority were small blocks. Now it's very common to see a pair of Huge tubos hanging out in front of a 706 cubic inch engine with 3-4 inch pipe running thru the firewall to the intercoolers mounted in the floorboard. The engine in the pic you posted looks like one of the new "chemis" a newly designed chevy that uses a hemi type head and theres no other way to describe them than gigantic LOL . Take a look at www.outlawracing.com and check out some of the combos. Mark that's a great looking turbo I've tried everything from watch parts to tiny jet engine impellers to replicate the vanes on the inlet of a scratched turbo but that wheel looks as good as anything I've seen thanks for the idea.

Chris

My late Uncle, Michael "Sparky" Browne, wired all of Spiro Pappas' cars. I believe that car in the picture is the one That Michael owned. It was built by The also late Steve Grebeck (Michaels' best friend) for Michael, then sold to Kirk Ferris (Howdy), then to Spiro. I saw the car getting updated at Skinny Kid's shop last spring. We lost Michael in a car accident Aug 18th 2007. He was on his way to help a cutomer of his at Milan Dragway. Some of you involved in racing may know him, he was the owner and sole Employee of his business, Wires and Pliers. He was one of my best friends, and i miss him everyday. I would sit in his shop all day just watching him work. He was a silent genius at what he did. I guess Steve Grebeck had a wiring issue he just couldnt figure out, and called sparky up to help him...... At least he has a friend in heaven........ :unsure:

Rudy

Mark that's a great looking turbo I've tried everything from watch parts to tiny jet engine impellers to replicate the vanes on the inlet of a scratched turbo but that wheel looks as good as anything I've seen thanks for the idea.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. I'm still working on it - haven't given up yet. I've bought several aircraft kits but what looked like it might be a good impeller has so far turned out not to be. And I've been to every toy store and thrift store in three counties, looking for a Matchbox car or something with a usable wheel. so, I think I'm gonna try making one from scratch - again.

Thanks for the history on the car Rudy. I just heard it was a new car for this new season. Funny how small of circles there are in the 1:1 car world.

and Mark, great idea with the turbo. I never would have thought of it, but it looks great!

• 2 weeks later...