Model Cars Magazine Forum

About weathering decals...

Hi everybody.

I am just working on the 1955 Chrysler 300 "Tim Flock".

My goal on this build is to show the racecar "lost and found" after round about 60 years.

So...Interieur, Engine is done. Next step was the bodywork as always.

I painted it, made a couple of hours bmf-work, clearcoated and bring the decals on. Last clearcoat without problems, i would do the weathering.

-> First step should be, to weather the decals with the bodycolor.

-> Second step weathering the body, looks like it was lost in a field and the sun, wind made the rusty look i always like.

And there, there i made the mistake:

as silly i am, i forgott (!) the first step.

The result after this work i will show you:

CIMG130714_020.jpg

CIMG130714_021.jpg

CIMG130714_022.jpg

CIMG130714_023.jpg

Take a look closer:

CIMG130714_029.jpg

In my view, the decals now didn't look as old as the rest of the paint.

I think, the decals are too dominant.

Should i let it this look? If not, how can i make it now?

should i remove the weathering and start the procedure again?

I don't know at this point, what to to...what do you think?

It depends on how you did the weathering. Is it easy to remove? If so, remove it and weather the decals, then re-do the rest of the weathering. If removing the weathering is going to be hard, I say leave it. The decals don't look too bad.

Thank you Harry, and sorry, i forgot:

before i started weathering, i took two, three layers of clear coat. I used Schmincke Aerocolors for the weathering.

I think, the weathering will be removal, if i sanding it wet - at least part of the large.

If you think you can safely sand off the weathering, I say try it. Then lightly sand the decals where you want them to look worn and weathered, and redo the weathering. You might even want to add a few "rust holes" here and there.

So i will do - or better said, i am working on it. Thank you Harry!

I've sanded the hole weathering of, new clearcoat and painted the decals lightly with mixed bodycolor like you said ;)

I think, on this way i can make it better then before, that it looks not toooo much weathered. Rust holes i will not make, thought about it. I only want the look like a barnfind in "good condition". maybe I decide after the weathering otherwise.

Progresspictures will come up. Here they are after "bleaching"

CIMG130722_020.jpg

CIMG130722_022.jpg

Edited by Dominik

• 4 weeks later...

Couple weeks ago, i sanded the bleached parts safetly, to "see" i little bit more from the decals. for example the roof...

CIMG130804_009.jpg

...and the drivers door:

CIMG130804_003.jpg

After that the body get back for drying and waited for my courage, approached me again to venture. i brushed the places similar before i sanded the first try off.

To this point, i was happy with the result:

before...

CIMG130804_010.jpg

...after:

CIMG130803_008.jpg

the same from the backview - before:

CIMG130804_012.jpg

after:

CIMG130803_011.jpg

for example a closedup before:

CIMG130804_008.jpg

After:

CIMG130803_009.jpg

I think, that works better. some more weathering coming up, than its ready to complete.

Edited by Dominik

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Damir,

i only work with Schmincke colors for this kind of weathering. The colors are "Pigment"-colors, they do not cover much and are very good to dose.

First i bleached with whit and sanded only the parts, i want to see at the end from the decals. Then i painted with Umbra more and more to cover and get some different color strengthen. I love this colors - "plug and play" (only fill in and paint without thinner), water based, no smell.

This dotted look on the fender is the result, if the color is not dry enough and each layer painted wet. It is difficult to hold this progress firmly in the picture.

If you will watch the hole progress of this model, follow the link: '55 Chrysler 300 "Tim Flock" - a barnfind