Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

StevenGuthmiller

Members
  • Content Count

    11,418
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About StevenGuthmiller

  • Rank
    MCM Ohana
  • Birthday 11/27/1962

Previous Fields

  • Are You Human?
    yes
  • Scale I Build
    1/25th-1/24th

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    http://stevenguthmiller@yahoo.com

Profile Information

  • Location
    Hawley Minnesota
  • Full Name
    Steven Wade Guthmiller

Recent Profile Visitors

15,071 profile views
  1. If Tamiya made a ‘57 Chevy it might be a valid argument to consider it as an alternative. But since they don’t, (or any other classic American car for that matter) it’s pretty much a moot point. Steve
  2. Don't know anything about the fan except this is what came in the Revell '68 Charger to be used in conjunction with the Hemi engine provided in the kit. I understand that the Hemi in that kit is not a stock engine, so I suppose it's entirely possible that it could be incorrect. Not a major issue. I'm pretty sure that I have a spare Mopar clutch fan around somewhere. Steve
  3. It's funny, but I've been airbrushing for probably 30 years and have never had to worry about anything like this. I've had a Creos PS-290 that I use for bodies for a few yeas now, (it also has the pistol grip) and an old Badger 200 NH that I've had for nearly that entire 30 year period and I shoot lacquer and lacquer thinner through them both all of the time. I guess this just amplifies the fact that not all equipment is created equal, even if it does have a fancy name. Steve
  4. A few more shots after some light weathering. Steve
  5. Still detailing engine parts. Today, I dusted a little aluminum on the carbs to tone down the gold a little and then painted any details that were required, dusted a little steel on the transmission to help achieve a bit more of a used appearance and added some bolt detail to the valve covers. I also added some detail paint to many of the other parts, including the starter and alternator. The engine is painted with one clear coat. I'll throw one more clear coat over almost everything to protect the paint and then it will be time for a wash for a slight weathered look
  6. I agree with the others. I've tried it both ways and have had more satisfactory results by applying after the clear coats. Steve
  7. Looking good so far Bob. I do have one question for you. Being as you're swapping out the interior, chassis, etc, any thought of whether or not to go ahead and open the hood? Seems a shame to go through the detail work that's going to be required for the interior, etc, without considering plopping an engine in it. One more thing, consider drilling out and replacing the headlights as well. I wish that I would have done this modification on a bunch of my vintage stuff. Steve
  8. Use some of the wider stuff. I believe the stuff I use is 3mm. I only buy one size and cut it down to the size I need with a straight edge and X-acto blade. personally, I think the tack is perfect for masking for several colors. If you burnish it down well, it will give you perfect edges. As I said, the ‘61 Buick interior above was done with Tamiya tape and as you can see, no bleed under whatsoever. As with everything, if you take your time, you’ll get good results. Steve
  9. As a famous comedian once joked, “Scientists have recently discovered that saliva may cause stomach cancer. But only if swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time”. Everything will kill you these days. 🙄 Steve
  10. It took a while, but what's time when you're doing something you love! Steve
  11. In my example above, the entire tub started in white primer. Then the parts to remain white were masked and the medium turquoise was air brushed on. After that it was just a matter of masking and brush painting the remainder of the striping. Once the painting was finished, I gave the entire tub a very light dusting of pearl acrylic to give it a metallic sheen. All of the masking was done with Tamiya masking tape. Steve
  12. I use them whenever I can now. As Tom stated, they're really the best option for door locks. Steve
  13. Sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet, take your time, and get out the masking tape. You can do some pretty neat stuff with nothing more than some good masking tape and paint. Steve
  14. Started painting some of the engine parts. I sprayed black primer on the valve covers, followed by a little clear shot from a distance to add some texture. The carbs got Alclad "Pale Burnt Metal", the transmission "Dark Aluminum" and the tranny pan "White Aluminum". The fuel splitter was shot with "Pale Gold", and the exhaust manifolds with layers of "Dark Aluminum", "Exhaust Manifold" and a misting of red primer. The block and other parts are painted flat orange at the moment. I wil
×
×
  • Create New...