Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'chevy biscayne'.
I made a couple of minor changes t the Supernatural 1967 Chevrolet Impala Supernatural kit. It is now a Biscayne police car. I probably don't have all the police items correct, as this is the first time that I've ever done a police car, and I'm out of my comfort zone. I did not include an areal as they have a tendency to get knocked off, or worse, broken. When I introduce it into a diorama sometime in the future, I'll then include the antenna(s). I really expect to see AMT produce a police car from the Supernatural kit as the interest for the kit wanes. For those of you who are considering this transformation, I have some information to add. The rear center of the trunk has to be reworked. Impalas had a trim piece on the lower edge of the trunk. The Biscaynes do not. This trim is molded on with the rear bumper. You will need to carefully cut that from the bumper, sand it smooth, and add it to the bottom of the center trunk lid. The tail lights are also different. Once again, turn to the rear bumper. Carefully file the upper trim from above the lights, leaving the backing intact. After the trim is removed, sand the detail from the light area. I used parts bins lights for it, which suffice quite well, since I'm just going for a shelf model. To reach a higher level of authenticity, I would suggest that you plan ahead and acquire slightly larger lights, and include the trim surrounds for them. The seats have to be addressed. Straight from the kit, the seats don't match each other. I resolved this by sanding both seats semi-smooth. I then added .010 strips for the detail. I did not alter the trim on the doors, as it would not be noticeable through the small window openings. If you're using the beige color that some departments used, you may want to give the door panels consideration. The 1965 Chevelle wagon comes with surf boards and a rack to carry them on. I used the uprights for the racks to build the sides for the light bar. The cross piece was in one of my miscellaneous parts drawers. It was a piece that says remove on it, and probably was from the hood opening section of a long built model. This one was perfect as it had to round areas on either side that matched the emergency strobe lights. Those strobe lights came from the red lens trees for big rig trucks.