Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:12 Scale: Are There Any American Muscle Cars You Like To See Kitted

Due to the VASTLY increased cost and display space required for 1/12 scale, it is NEVER going to be as popular as 1/25-25th.

So a manufacturer is going to have to pick subjects for this scale VERY carefully for maximum possible appeal/sales or have a very expensive turd on its hands.

That said, I think the best bet would be a GOOD, all-new '65-'66 Mustang fastback. Lots of building options and variations there--'65 and '66 2+2s, plus GTs, plus Shelbys (including R and H versions). Aftermarket resin parts for hardtop and convertible conversions would also be popular, I'd suspect.

Agreed. I'd also say that Revell needs to replace the horrid 1:12 Ferrari 275 GTB they reissued from the original. This could be done as the basic Berlinetta, as a NART spyder and a GTB4 racer with minor alterations. They could also adapt parts from their old GTO die cast, like the superb wire wheels

But in a podcast interview in recent years, Ed Sexton said that Revell saw no potential in large-scale kits.

Due to the VASTLY increased cost and display space required for 1/12 scale, it is NEVER going to be as popular as 1/25-25th.

So a manufacturer is going to have to pick subjects for this scale VERY carefully for maximum possible appeal/sales or have a very expensive turd on its hands.

That said, I think the best bet would be a GOOD, all-new '65-'66 Mustang fastback. Lots of building options and variations there--'65 and '66 2+2s, plus GTs, plus Shelbys (including R and H versions). Aftermarket resin parts for hardtop and convertible conversions would also be popular, I'd suspect.

Agreed. I'd also say that Revell needs to replace the horrid 1:12 Ferrari 275 GTB they reissued from the original. This could be done as the basic Berlinetta, as a NART spyder and a GTB4 racer with minor alterations. They could also adapt parts from their old GTO die cast, like the superb wire wheels

But in a podcast interview in recent years, Ed Sexton said that Revell saw no potential in large-scale kits.

in a podcast interview in recent years, Ed Sexton said that Revell saw no potential in large-scale kits.

^This. Other than slightly modified or straight reissues, I don't see Revell dipping their foot into the large scale pond within the next decade plus.

Which is a shame since there are quite a few cars that could stand to be kitted. However I wonder if he's including 1/16 scale in that statement. They're only slightly larger than 1:18 scale diecasts, and still offer plenty of opportunity for large scale detailing.

Edited by Jordan White

Agreed. I'd also say that Revell needs to replace the horrid 1:12 Ferrari 275 GTB they reissued from the original.

And the Gullwing, and the '65 Mustang, all of which were captive Renwal t00lz.

Then turns around and releases a 1/12 scale Mustang kit that turns out to be a decent seller.

What Revell should do is stop wasting huge amounts of money on such elaborate but stillborn children as Rosenbauer Simbas and Neoplan Cityliners,

which really can do nothing but flop.

Although not big scale, but a big kit indeed, the Routemaster seems to fly off the shelves and so would the right subjects in big scales.

It would be great to see a 67-68 Camaro and a 66-67 Nova .

A '68 RS/SS Camaro would be an outstanding companion to the existing 1/12 scale '69 Camaro SS.

In fact with a few relative simple mods like adding post for the vent window for the driver/passenger doors, filling in the front and rear side marker lights etc. you could reasonable build a '67 Camaro Rally Sport.

The most important thing is that they make it a Rally Sport car!

In general for whatever reason the Rally Sport Camaro has been sorely over looked by the model car manufacturer community...I'm just saying.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

If you don't mind a higher price, Doyusha/Otaki did release a '73 Trans Am in 1/12 scale back in the 70s, and you can find them on ebay but they are going for a couple hundred bucks.

186185-12135-pristine.jpg

Thank you Jordan, I have seen a few of those on eBay...and you're correct, they are pricey?

I'd love to see ANY 1/12 muscle car, but, thinking somewhat logically, three of my all time favorite muscle cars happen to be the 69/70 Boss Mustangs, the 70 Chevelle SS and the 71 Road Runner/GTX.  These all are kitted in 1/24 scale from the old Monogram models.  Wouldn't it be easier to just double the size and add parts rather than start from scratch with new molds?  I'd be happy with one kit from each of the Big 3.... Well, at first, anyway.  ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Ok, just for Muscle-machines, here's my list :

-Buick 1968 GS-400

-Buick 1969 Riviera GS

-Buick 1970 GS-455

-Buick 197 Riviera Boatail GS

-Buick 1973 GS-455

-Chevy 1967 Camaro SS

-Chevy 1968 Corvette L-88 roadster

-Chevy 1969 Camaro SS convertible

-Chevy 1969 Corvette ZL-1

-Chevy 1970 Camaro Z-28

-Chevy 1970 Corvette ZR-1

-Chevy 1970 Malibu SS454 LS-6

-Chevy 1971 Camaro SS

-Chevy 1971 Malibu SS350

-Chevy 1973 Chevelle Baldwin-Motion Phase III

-Chevy 1974 Corvette 454 roadster

-Dodge 1969 Charger R/T 440

-Dodge 1969 Coronet R/T Hemi convertible

-Dodge 1969 Super-Bee 440x6

-Olsdmobile 1968 4-4-2/Hurst Olds

-Oldsmobile 1969 4-4-2

-Oldsmobile 1970 Rallye 350

-Oldsmobile 1973 4-4-2

-Plymouth 1968 GTX convertible

-Plymouth 1969 Roadrunner 440 4bbl

-Plymouth 1970 Cuda 383 convertible

-Plymouth 1970 GTX 440

-Plymouth 1970 Hemicuda

-Plymouth 1970 Sport Fury GT

-Plymouth 1970 Superbird Hemi

-Plymouth 1971 Cuda 340

-Plymouth 1971 GTX 440

-Plymouth 1971 Hemicuda convertible

-Plymouth 1973 Cuda

-Plymouth 1973 GTX 440

-Pontiac 1967 Firebird 400

-Pontiac 1968 GTO

-Pontiac 1969 Firebird 400

-Pontiac 1969 GTO

-Pontiac 1969 Trans-Am

-Pontiac 1970 GTO 

-Pontiac 1970 Firebird Formula 400

-Pontiac 1970 Trans Am

-Pontiac 1971 GTO convertible

-Pontiac 1973 GTO

-Pontiac 1973 Firebird Formula SD455

-Pontiac 1973 Trans Am SD455

-Pontiac 1974 GTO

-Pontiac 1974 Trans Am SD455

-Pontiac 1976 Firebird Formula W50 Appearance Package

-Pontiac 1976 Trans Am 50th Anniversary

-Pontiac 1977 Can Am

-Pontiac 1977 Trans Am Edition

-Pontiac 1978 Firebird Formula W72

-Pontiac 1979 Trans-Am Gold Edition

-Pontiac 1980 Firebird Formula Turbo

-Pontiac 1981 Trans Am Pace Car

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of great subjects already posted that I agree with. I would only add these, which would *NEVER, EVER* happen:

Firehawk - any year

Camaro SS - LT1 or LS1

65-66 Shelby Mustang or GT350H - a new one, not the horrible Road and Track kit.

Some that I think would actually sell:

70-72 Chevelle SS

63 Corvette (could start with the `67 as a base)

67-68 Camaro (could start with the `69)

70 Z/28

78 - 81 Z/28 - Yes, it`s time. These were the best selling years out of any year for the Camaro. The real cars are starting to go for multiple times what they were sold for when new.

78 - 81 Trans am. See above. Especially if parts to build the Year One car are included

67 Mustang - with "Eleanor" parts

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but don`t all kits start out as 1/12 scale?

I'm a Ford guy so the 67-8 & 69-70 Mustang fastbacks for me. I think if they even made one of each body style say a 67 & 69 the modeler would have the option to create several different models. If the aftermarket casters jumped in you could have a conversion for a 68 &70. Then all the Shelby options. Same way for the 67-69 Camaro/Firebird, 67-69 Chevelle, 68-70 Dodge Charger etc..

Edited by 55pete351

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...