Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Beetle Baja race diorama

Hey guys, I finished this VW Beetle Baja racer a couple weeks ago. Here's a small diorama I made for it showing it in a race. It's just a piece of Styrofoam covered with dirt, a few plants, and rocks. I used a heat gun to make ruts where the wheel tracks are. For the blue sky photo background, I set up an old ironing board my wife painted. I dirtied up the Bug a little with some real dirt. There are driver and passenger figures inside. This was an easy and fun project. I hope you like it!

18275583623_612b2826ee_k.jpg

18891015282_386428183c_z.jpg

18708511600_25b2195cc9_z.jpg

18275918533_2d8395096b_z.jpg

Sam

Lance, I'm going to experiment with making dust clouds from the tires by stretching out cotton balls. I've seen burnout smoke done this way, and it looked pretty good. The trick might be getting the clouds the right "dust" colors.

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for all the compliments, guys. I'm currently rebuilding an old Meyers Manx into a desert racer to put on the dio with the Bug. I had fun building the Bug and the diorama! I'm glad you guys like it!

Sam

• 3 weeks later...