Model Cars Magazine Forum

Getting back to it with some Vettes!

drive4th

Hey all!  it's been a while but it's good to be back.  Some of you may remember my last project of that 70's Baldwin Motion camaro, well a lot has happened since then.  Namely, the birth of our 2nd boy and a new job!  So needless to say, i've been a bit busy and not much free time for modelling.

But things are finally stabilizing and i thought i'd jump back in the saddle with some practice cars.  I learned a lot from the camaro [which was basicaly my first attempt] and i wanted to practice a few of those things on some sacrificial cars.  I scored a couple of C4 corvettes for $5 each :)  and thought i'd just experiment with stuff.  i didn't get ay pics of starting them though but really not a whole lot happened in the beginning anyway.  So here they are now:

vettes1.jpg

So the quick story is i wanted to focus on better painting techniques. I really loused up the previous one by not sanding the body and not using primer. I also got a little trigger happy with the spray paint so i really focused on getting better at painting overall.  Also, just for fun, i wanted to try some simple mods.  For the blue cpnvertible vet, i lowered the suspension for a tighter ride. That was a learning experience in itself and i dont think it turned out very well but that was the point, to try it out and learn from it.  For the red coupe i tried a simple body mod and took the chrome headlight insert, painted it and installed it as a lower air dam just for kicks.

I'll add some more photos shortly..

Here are more photos of the vettes.  Next up is to tidy up the bodies and add the wheels.  I used the stock wheels for the blue vette and have some custom wheels i painted gunmetal for the red coupe.  Also trying to decide on the blue vette what way to set the wheels, with the spokes forward facing or rearward. I plan to just keep exploring with these two, and learn more along the way. And i won't feel bad about destroyig them since they were only $5 each anyway ;)

Will be sure to post the progress more regularly, and already thinking ahead to the next project!  Feedback is more than welcome, let me know what you guys think!

vettes2.jpg

vettes3.jpg

vettes4.jpg

vettes5.jpg

Edited by drive4th
typo

Thanks!  I've been looking over them and already see several paint issues, like some spotting and building up on the blue vette. :/  But that's ok cuz now i can try some sanding and re-spray techniques.  Need to fix the driver's side of hood where the paint pooled, need to reposition the hard top and then give it a final coat of paint if possible.  I was never a huge fan of chrome wheels but i like the way these look with the blue vette.

The red coupe paint turned out ok but i want to wet sand it and give it another coat to really make it smooth, then clear coat.  More mods to come!

Ok so i wet sanded the entire car, worked out some really rough spots and removed the roof because it was actually out of correct position.  I didn't take photos of the sanding work because i just didn't remember to, but here is the re-panted corvette convertible.  I liked the way the it turned out after the wet sanding, and i took the time to thin out the spots where paint had pooled. But i realize now that i over sprayed it [again] and it pooled.. again.  I guess it's my heavy trigger finger that's the real problem.

Also, the roof and windshield no longer line up and it's because i did not install the dashboard for this. The windshield should sit over the dashboard but without it it's too far forward. I now realize it really is better to glue before paint and did a much better job at masking things for the respray. Ah well im ok with it as is, it's been good practice anyway. Think i'll leave this one as is and get to the red coupe to finish it up soon.  Wet sanding, respray and wheels left to go. Comments welcome

20150814_171404.jpg

20150814_171239.jpg

20150814_171336.jpg

20150814_171301.jpg

20150814_150305.jpg

and now the red coupe!  this build was a lot easier and rather quick actually. the only mod was the front lower 'spoiler' just for fun but it's clear now that it offsets the balance of the car and is too heavy now in the front.  i have already ordered some styrene sheets and the plan is to make some side skirts and rear diffuser to even it out. Decided to keep the wheels stock for now but i may upgrade to larger wheels and maybe lower the suspension after i put the mods on it. we'll see.
 Enjoy the pics and comments are welcome

20150821_153836.jpg

20150821_153931.jpg

20150821_153844_001.jpg

20150821_153916.jpg

20150821_153922.jpg

Keep up with the practice, you're definitely improving with every job, the blue one is looking pretty good, I really like the color, could you give us the particulars on it? Keep building it's something you never get to where you can't learn something new, and sometimes you come across a trick no one else has discovered yet.