Model Cars Magazine Forum

Resin 1969 Mustang Coupe / Revell (9/20 Clutch Slave, Fuel Pump)

Protowrxs

This is likely going to be an extended build but thought it would be fun to share the progress (or no progress as it may be) here with others. The goal is to build up a 1/25 scale of my actual 1969 Mustang Coupe that I've had since 1974. I finally have the car back on the road after way too long although it still needs details completed. I really should be working on the real one instead of this but I hope this will rebuild my motivation for the big car.

I've messed with cutting up a kit to get the coupe roof line long ago but was never happy with what I could accomplish. Having run across the resin Grande coupe body some time ago I knew that was what I needed BUT the prices were over $100 on every auction and that was too much for me. Recently I received an alert from my ebay notices that there was a "69 Mustang Resin" for sale but figured it was another one of the decorations or 1/43 scale version. I checked it out anyhow and it had a very reasonable buy it now so I clicked it without any second thoughts.

69-2015-06Cropped.thumb.jpg.e582c93581d1

This is the resin kit pieces although I may use the CJ hood with the hole is the standard scoop will cover it. In any manner I want the air filter just peaking through the hood under the scoop like the real car does.

IMG_6631.thumb.JPG.e2e256fa505784b1e1da3

Engine wise I want to match the 347 that I've built for the car as well which generally will not be a problem except for maybe the shorty Cobra filter that I've never seen anywhere else. The rest is pretty easy as the Cobra T pan is out there and covers and I found an intake that closely matches the old F4B I've kept on the car. I put a Mcleod scatter shield and TKO 3550 in the car and have found a close trans out of an early 90's Mustang kit. In fact, I bought the Mustang Cobra Combo kit to get not only the 1969 base parts but the rack and pinion to fit the rack I used in the real car and the fox body seats that I used as well. The Fox Cobra is 1/24 though so I may have to do some fitting on the seats as they already seem over sized.

IMG_6008.thumb.JPG.5d5b32801af1966890ae9IMG_6632.thumb.JPG.c8d50e56b0911e086f581

I plan on painting up / detailing the engine as close as I can to my actual build as well as the electric fuel pump setup, slapper traction bars, etc. I'm still debating on opening up the doors and trunk. It's a lot of work and sometimes doesn't actually add any value but then again I do not plan on building another one of these.

One of the first things I had to do was remove the molded in battery from under the hood as mine is in the trunk. I'm thinking I'll rebuild the shock towers as well as the kit looks more like the Boss 429 laid back towers than my stock ones. The front suspension detail is so lacking on this kit as well so I may build up some custom shocks/springs and upper arms. I'm pretty familiar with the 1969 Mustang having put a passenger side shock tower and battery tray panel in the real car so I know how it should look :-)

IMG_6628.thumb.JPG.ae5c0f655d908400a14c5

The other thing I have to do is remove the molded in power steering linkage as I'll be using a rack like the real car has. Little detail but I figure what the heck, I want to do this as close to the 1:1 that I can.
IMG_6625X.thumb.jpg.dd0596097c449d4646bc

Cool thing is I can always walk out to the garage and take pics, measurements, etc if I need to in order to validate the end results!

Stephen

Edited by Protowrxs

Cool project!  My Dad is actually working on one of these currently to replicate his 1969 coupe..   The story about how your acquired the resin kit is eerily similar.

He had previously made a 1/18" diecast by frankenstien-ing 4 kits together.  (his real car has the shelby rear panel and side scoops)

I will be following along for sure! 

This is likely going to be an extended build but thought it would be fun to share the progress (or no progress as it may be) here with others. The goal is to build up a 1/25 scale of my actual 1969 Mustang Coupe that I've had since 1974. I finally have the car back on the road after way too long although it still needs details completed. I really should be working on the real one instead of this but I hope this will rebuild my motivation for the big car.

I've messed with cutting up a kit to get the coupe roof line long ago but was never happy with what I could accomplish. Having run across the resin Grande coupe body some time ago I knew that was what I needed BUT the prices were over $100 on every auction and that was too much for me. Recently I received an alert from my ebay notices that there was a "69 Mustang Resin" for sale but figured it was another one of the decorations or 1/43 scale version. I checked it out anyhow and it had a very reasonable buy it now so I clicked it without any second thoughts.

69-2015-06Cropped.thumb.jpg.e582c93581d1

This is the resin kit pieces although I may use the CJ hood with the hole is the standard scoop will cover it. In any manner I want the air filter just peaking through the hood under the scoop like the real car does.

IMG_6631.thumb.JPG.e2e256fa505784b1e1da3

Engine wise I want to match the 347 that I've built for the car as well which generally will not be a problem except for maybe the shorty Cobra filter that I've never seen anywhere else. The rest is pretty easy as the Cobra T pan is out there and covers and I found an intake that closely matches the old F4B I've kept on the car. I put a Mcleod scatter shield and TKO 3550 in the car and have found a close trans out of an early 90's Mustang kit. In fact, I bought the Mustang Cobra Combo kit to get not only the 1969 base parts but the rack and pinion to fit the rack I used in the real car and the fox body seats that I used as well. The Fox Cobra is 1/24 though so I may have to do some fitting on the seats as they already seem over sized.

IMG_6008.thumb.JPG.5d5b32801af1966890ae9IMG_6632.thumb.JPG.c8d50e56b0911e086f581

I plan on painting up / detailing the engine as close as I can to my actual build as well as the electric fuel pump setup, slapper traction bars, etc. I'm still debating on opening up the doors and trunk. It's a lot of work and sometimes doesn't actually add any value but then again I do not plan on building another one of these.

One of the first things I had to do was remove the molded in battery from under the hood as mine is in the trunk. I'm thinking I'll rebuild the shock towers as well as the kit looks more like the Boss 429 laid back towers than my stock ones. The front suspension detail is so lacking on this kit as well so I may build up some custom shocks/springs and upper arms. I'm pretty familiar with the 1969 Mustang having put a passenger side shock tower and battery tray panel in the real car so I know how it should look :-)

IMG_6628.thumb.JPG.ae5c0f655d908400a14c5

The other thing I have to do is remove the molded in power steering linkage as I'll be using a rack like the real car has. Little detail but I figure what the heck, I want to do this as close to the 1:1 that I can.
IMG_6625X.thumb.jpg.dd0596097c449d4646bc

Cool thing is I can always walk out to the garage and take pics, measurements, etc if I need to in order to validate the end results!

Stephen

Hi the resin kit you are showing is from a resin guy called AF/X Resin I have 2 of those kits I got from them 8 years ago they were $20.00 each he was a great resin guy and had a ton of deferent hoods and other trans kits but they started having all kinds of problems and people were not getting orders they faded away. It's to bad they did make a nice product.

Thanks for the comments all, it should be an interesting build for me for sure being so long off the bench.

Superbike-Shaun:

I found that Twister build by freakshow12 you mentioned! It is very motivating and a bit demotivating. Lol. Definitely going to use some of his ideas or at least try to. Thanks for the info!.

Espo:

I believe you are correct. From what I see it appears the C pillars are really more like the 1970 coupe than the 1969. The 1969 also has some window trimming around the back window that isn't there. Best coupe option I've seen though.

Impalow:

Very cool on your Dad's coupe. Those pics look great man! Would love to see some pics of the real car. I still have a lot of work to do on mine but it's at least on the road after a very long time off.

RickCaps55:

Yeah, that is what I gathered in regard to the source of the body. I remember trying to find somewhere to buy from AF/X and never got anywhere. I vaguely remember maybe even trying to order one but getting too old to remember yesterday much less back then.

IMG_6636.thumb.JPG.04139c5068cc72027143a

IMG_6635.thumb.JPG.715f3313b5ddbb2d57dcd

Thanks again all!

Stephen

Edited by Protowrxs

There's a guy in Russia that is selling corrected nose piece for this model.  I have heard that it's pretty good quality and really takes away the droopy sad looking lights and puts them much closer to where they're supposed to be.  I posted a thread in the car resin/aftermarket section.  You should take a look at it before you get real crazy about the paint and body work.  You shouldn't be disappointed.

There's a guy in Russia that is selling corrected nose piece for this model.  I have heard that it's pretty good quality and really takes away the droopy sad looking lights and puts them much closer to where they're supposed to be.  I posted a thread in the car resin/aftermarket section.  You should take a look at it before you get real crazy about the paint and body work.  You shouldn't be disappointed.

Yeah, I keep checking that page but it's still out of stock. I'm leaving that area until the last and hopefully I can find one somewhere, someplace. 

Thanks for the info though and I do agree - I can't find it but another member did a little grille lean forward that helped a bit.

Stephen

Worked a little more on this while I'm interested. Worked up the clutch slave setup, electric fuel pump, and some misc clean up.

I wanted to try to duplicate the fuel system as much as possible so scratch built a little Holley electric fuel pump and mount similar to the real thing. Pump body is pretty close to scale, regulator not quite but the plate is close as well. Cut a strip from an aluminum coke can for the strap mount. Those cans are MUCH thinner today than they used to be when I used them for interior panels on my drag models! Sorry, fuel pump pic sucks as I couldn't get a good macro of it.The mounting plate is where it is on the real car as well. I pinned it in but thinking I should have just eventually glued it and make a couple paint dobs for the bolts.

FuelPump-1.thumb.jpg.458cc3053ea4c82df10

For the clutch slave cylinder I found what I think is a starter solenoid on an old scrap tree and scratch built a mount similar to my real one. May still need to thin it down some but it looks very close. I used an old long number tab and drilled a hole for the slave rod and then one in the near center and drilled out the crank line  through the bell housing. I then used some music wire as the alignment from crank, through the clutch arm and lined it up after cutting a hole for the fork in the bell housing. Pretty darn close to me. The slave rod is a bit over scaled, I may need to find a smaller straight pin or wire.

IMG_6641.thumb.JPG.e2e31064e55fa97137a5d

Clutch-1.thumb.jpg.f45d7bf23739ea28ff64e

I validated that the shifter on the trans actually lines up with the in car console and it does, just like the real thing. Actually that ragged hole looks kind of like the real thing as well. :-( You can also see from here I have opened up the passenger side door so see how difficult it's going to be.

I also filled in the gaping hole on the bottom side where the console pops up in the tunnel. My real car doesn't have a hole on the bottom so figured this shouldn't either. Just have to bondo and clean it up eventually.

IMG_6650.thumb.JPG.af511ef00da0a8e9bbdd1

IMG_6639.thumb.JPG.3dda19ded664baf1d87a4

Going to be in Austin Texas this week for an IT conference so no working on it for the week. Might be better for me anyhow.

Stephen

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 11:15 PM, Mark Butterfield said:

Where did you find the resin kit for you Mustang coupe?

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Gerry Chevalier (on Facebook) makes this resin trans kit.  You can post a comment on his page or send him a message via Messanger.