Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya TS clear safe over laser printed decals???

Not much time for building lately (back to 6 days/wk at work) but I've had a little time to play with my new Xara drawing software (snuck onto my work 'puter). Anyways, I couldn't get one design to print on my inkjet at home; the ink would just bead up on the paper.

I finally got some laser decal paper and made it to Kinkos to get them done. Now my question is will the Tamiya TS clear I'm using damage the decals??? This is my first experience with laser printed decals. It's just Detail Master laser decal paper if it makes a difference.

TIA

Best way to find out is to test a piece of decal paper under a quick coat of the clear on a scrap body or part. I would apply the decal over a coat of the top color to try & recreate all the chemicals & gassing of the paints with the decals under the clear.

Howdy ,

I've been on "spray bomb" kick lately and have been using a lot of Tamiya's acrilic lacquer spray with great results . When using thier clear over a solid color , either wait until until the paint has "gassed out"

(here in Mass in the summer with humidity it's six or seven days , winter no humidity TWO days . You must remember to take humidity into consideration when spraying any lacquer . ) or you can do what I usually do . Follow up your finish coat with a good coat of clear , I belive Tamiya recommends spraying clear within 24 hours or waiting untill completely dry.

As far as decals go , again you must wait until the decals have completely dried ( 24 hours is plenty for decals) as they are moving until dry . Then you can go ahead with your clear coat (s) .

Applying Clear :When spraying on your clear coat you must resist the temptation of trying to cover the model with one (heaven forbid !) or two coats . Although you might laugh this clear is so good that might be possible . But.....RESIST and dust on one light coat and wait 10 minutes . Then dust on a second coat and wait 15 minutes NOW COMES THE IMPORTANT PART . Dust on the third coat and toy will notice the model is starting to look really shiney. STOP NOW And let this coat set up for 15 to 20 minutes . Alot of Builders say this is enough and turn the third coat into the finish , but trust me . (or of course experiment on your own) The fourth coat is the charm with this stuff . Dust it on just like the previous coats , and the finish is truly amazing .

As far as decals go I've only had one case where the decals wrinkled a little , and that was when I tried to clear freshly laid decals for a contest TOMORROW as I am wont to do . The thing to remember with decals is do not let the clear puddle on them . Dusting on a bunch of light coats is the way to go !!!

Hope this helps, See you around the clubhouse,

Steve D.