Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's Jawbreaker

chuckinredneck

As things have settled down a bit and I needed a break from the 40 Ford Sedan, so I decided to do a simple build. My choice for this simple build is the Jawbreaker from AMT, a former MPC kit. I started building this model with the idea of just doing a little wiring and maybe some fuel lines. The body on this kit was warped and twisted pretty good so it took some heat and epoxy to get the 2 halves together, then it was puttied up and primed.

Picture212.jpg

I started building the chassis while waiting for putty and primer to dry. After the color coat of paint was done I layed down 2 coats of clear I brought the body back to the bench to wet sand it. I mocked the model up to see how it looked and took a picture of it in front of the box.

Picture218.jpg

After I downloaded the pictures on the computer I realized how close the Torch Red that I bought to paint the model was to the box art. Now I've decided I'm doing this as a box stock build with no extra detailing. The question I have has to do with contests. I haven't done any box stock builds for contest before and I know you have to have the instructions with the model. This kit has some optional parts, like there are 2 different types of headers but only one type is shown in the instructions the other set is shown on the box art. My question is do I build the model according to the instructions or do I use the other parts that are shown on the box art and argue my case at the contest that those are kit parts?

Thanks

Chuck J

Chuck,

Thing to do is buid it as you want to build it, from whatever is in the box. Take the instructions (usually required by the rules in most box-stock classes), but also ... take the box.

To really nail it down, take an un-opened Jawbreaker kit along ... if you have one. Any argument with the judges would be quickly dispelled by cracking open a mint, sealed kit.

Speaking from the experience of years of 'head-judging' that would do it for me!

Good luck! Nice model.

Well I decided to go box stock. This was supposed to be a simple build but has become quite involve as almost evry mounting point had to be remove or adjusted even to the point were a square pin had to be trimed up to go into a round whole. Anyhow here are a couple of up todate pictures of this build just a little more work and it will be done.

Chuck J

Picture1111.jpg

Picture1108a.jpg