Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model A Frame, '32 Frame? Need Some Help

So I'm working on a '29 Model A pickup and my secret engine project won't fit between the frame rails.

Is a Deuce frame wider? Is there any frame of that general era that would work?

I was considering going to a '34 Ford, I just don't know if it's the same as the '32.

Help please?

Edited by FORDSVTPARTS

Guest Gramps-xrds

You got me wondering, so I mic,ed the frame rails of the AMT kits. The 32 was .892 and the 29 was .987. These were measured right behind the front spring perch. Don't know if this helps or not. The AMT 34s are a lot smaller because of the A arms the used on them. I don't build Monogram so I can't say anything about them.

Don't know about models, but would assume that they are proportional to 1:1s. Real life "A" frames were pretty spindly and light weight. The 32 frames were quite a bit beefer to support the added weight of the V8. Much more adaptable to modifications.

I think I may just have to rework my suspension plans to get it right, I don't want the engine high enough to tip the car over in a turn but it won't sit down in the rails.

I think maybe a front suicide mount is in order and I may attempt my first "Z" job on the rear.

So far I've been doing nothing but the engine for this one so the car is built around it.

• 3 weeks later...
This ended up being as non issue, I went with a Willys Gasser chassis as there was NO way the motor woudl fit the model A.

Not entirely true, you can get a V8 between a Model A's frame rails, you would need to replace the Engine & Trans cross-members with that of a Deuce(If not just use the whole thing) to do so... There has been a few write-ups about the process in 1:1 scale mags, with the most recent just on/have left newstands...

• 1 month later...

I have built 3 or 4 29 fords and one I started it off with a 426 Hemi and it fit right in between withno problems but that was a couple years ago and I changed it into an old drag car that has a 427 corvette motor in it now and that fit right in there too.