Model Cars Magazine Forum

Protect your models from those nasty tires!!

I know a lot of you do this but there are still some that do not!!! If you have a collection or just a few you should protect your plastic by "Bagging" your tires!! I use the little jewelry/bead bags. They come in a few sizes and can be found at your local craft shop(Hobby Lobby,Michaels,etc) A little effort now will preserve your model for years to come!!! I have so many models that have suffered damage from the wheels. The plastic I can fix, but the glass....thats another story!! Don't let this happen to you!!!!

usually when i first get a kit, i will fondle the plastic and then separate the chrome, glass and tires into separate bags, usually zip lock bags, before i put it away. sometimes its hard to get the box closed because of the extra space from the bags.

• 1 year later...

I think I have almost every size baggie you can think of so I usually do not have a problem closing the box when I get done. I have tiny bags for the wheels and larger bags for the glass, etc. Sometime I do have to pack it a few times to get it all to fit nice though. As cheap as these baggies are to buy, there should be no reason not to do it and save your plastic from the dreaded tire melt!!! KT

I generally throw the kit tires into a tub, or in the garbage, as I mainly use aftermarket tires.

but ive never actualy seen what people say tires in older kits do. Just last week I opened up 2 orig. issue jo-han kits from the late 60s, a haulin hearse, and a resuce ambuance cadillac, both were sealed, untouched, and there were no issues what soever.

mabey I just got lucky?

:blink:

For protecting the tires in my kits, I would like to use the nice purple bags that come around a bottle of Crown Royal. BUT, unfortunitly I can't drink it fast enough to get that many purple bags. :lol::lol::lol:

So I raid the wifes stash of zip lock bags from the kitchen cabinet. I have never had trouble getting the parts back into the box, seceret is to put the tires in first, flatten down than put in the rest of the parts.

The only trouble I have with using the zip-lock bags is when I don't tell the wife that I took the last bag out of the box. :lol::lol::lol:

Jeff :P:P:P

Really the only kits I had problems with tire marks on the glass were the old MPC stock car kits. I have some sealed up ones that I'll open when I build them and the ones I sell, I'll warn buyers that they may have damaged glass.

Glass that is not in a separate plastic bag gets wrapped in a napkin and is placed in the bottom of the box. Decals get tucked into the instruction sheet. The new tires I don't worry about but do lay them on the bottom of the box flat.

Bob