Model Cars Magazine Forum

Starting my first diorama

Jon Geddes

Hey guys, thought I'd share some pics of my first attempt at making a diorama, a two bay mechanic shop. I got the basic exterior walls made and started planning what I'll use for the roof. It'll get siding made out of overlapped horizontal popsicle sticks, hopefully next weekend. I'd like to use a sheet of MDF for the base and find some laminate that looks like a scaled down shop floor material inside and some grass and pavement out front of the shop. Here are a few pictures of what I have so far setup in the spot that I'm specifically sizing it to be displayed in (and some cars in it because I can't wait to finish it to put them in haha). Excuse the blurriness of the cell phone pictures, I know some of them are pretty bad.

I would've liked to make it a little deeper than nine inches, but the depth of the top of the dresser it's going on limits that. My goal was to make it deep enough to at least fit one 1:24 scale diecast car inside, yet shallow enough to leave enough room to do something with the exterior area out front. As mentioned before, I've never done this before, so I'll definitely be cruising around this section of the forum looking for ideas to add to the realism. A big goal of mine is to get my hands on one of those battery operated model car lifts I see pop up on eBay and fit it in a way that makes it look very realistic inside the shop. I'd also like to add some interior lighting, some aftermarket parts banners, and other fun goodies like that. And by all means, if anyone sees anything that doesn't look like it would work right or has an idea that looks better or is easier to make, please let me know! Thank you!

WP_20160110_16_19_38_Pro.jpg

WP_20160110_16_18_22_Pro.jpg

WP_20160110_16_18_48_Pro.jpg

WP_20160110_16_18_55_Pro.jpg

WP_20160110_16_19_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20160110_16_19_30_Pro.jpg

WP_20160110_16_20_05_Pro.jpg

Edited by Jon Geddes

• 2 months later...