Model Cars Magazine Forum

work table

ever hear of a  HOMBROL WORK TABLE  well  i figured i could make my own  well make the one i have better  - i would like to know  if you guy`s do any thing special in other words  painting a small piece how do you hold it while paintingit`s easy if it is still on the garbage plastic that comes with the kit - and did you guy`s make spray boxes - holders for your brushes - where do you get your thinner - guess you could buy it in huge container`s  - questions like that  cause i`m in this for the long haul    

toothpicks, clothespins or tape to hold small parts.   i do my wintertime spraying in the basement.  drilled some holes in a board to hold brushes and i like to always by the bigger bottle of thinner for everything except actually thinning paint, for that i still get the little bottles of Testors thinner.   additionally, i find a Jack Daniels bottle with a small wad of tape to spray bodies.   hope this helps.

I  paint most of the really small parts while they are still on the sprue. I made a holder for bodies and bigger parts to be sprayed, from a piece of wood with four pieces of heavy wire coming up through the bottom. I buy thinners and stuff in quarts. I'm slowly getting away from Testor's paints and using Tamiya. Water clean up for the brush paints is great.  I too , have made wooden holders for my brushes and tools and such. it doesn't have to be pretty ,just functional.No spray booth ,just the basement. My work table is an old drafting table about 3 x 5 feet. It has a piece of white laminate (counter top material) glued to the top because glues and paint won't stick to it. It's great for working on large scale models. And for lighting I have an ancient Dazor drafting light with 2 -18" florescent tubes. Very adjustable.

I hope this helps. Good luck!