Model Cars Magazine Forum

New project. Rare 70 cougar overhaul!!

freakshow12

Thanks guys.  Mike, thanks so much for the pics.  The seats are high backs yes.   I will put up pics of the interior tub.  It's simple and door panels are different.  I can fix them I think.  The pics are very helpful.  Do you have a top view of hood latch/ inner grille? Also is the scj oil cooler/ horn setup same place as a mustang with cooler on drivers side and 2 horns on pass side?

Thanks guys.  Mike, thanks so much for the pics.  The seats are high backs yes.   I will put up pics of the interior tub.  It's simple and door panels are different.  I can fix them I think.  The pics are very helpful.  Do you have a top view of hood latch/ inner grille? Also is the scj oil cooler/ horn setup same place as a mustang with cooler on drivers side and 2 horns on pass side?

Yessir, SCJ oil cooler / horn setup are the same as the Mustang, as you said. 

The '70 Cougars used two different styles of interior, with multiple color options available for each: 

The "Standard" interior had a simple door panel stitching and small cougar emblem.  Seats were high-back with vinyl seat surfaces.  White standard interior pic below.
Note that this car has the optional console, which has a wood-grain insert for all model Cougars for '70.
This pic also shows a speaker grille in the door, which is correct for cars with AM/FM or AM/8-Track radio options.  AM radio cars had no door speakers.
The only noticable difference in the high-back bucket seats between '69 and '70 is that the '69 had the seat back release mounted about half-way up the side of the seat, while the '70 release was down at the bottom.
Hurst T-handle shifter was the norm for 4-speed Cougars in '70.  The guage pod in the console is not factory (I believe only the Shelby's came with those originally).
The steering wheel in the standard interior was a 2-spoke center horn pad version, similar to that seen on the mustang, but with a cougar emblem in the center instead of a pony.

70_Eliminator_-_0F91Q509780__15.thumb.jp
_3.thumb.jpg.bcbf1f59a8c2bfc7b611a1b7daf

The "Decor" interior had a more decorative door panel stitching with a wooden cougar plaque.  Seats were high-back, with "comfortweave" material - except for the houndstooth, which were cloth.
Pics below show a Black Decor Interior.
Rear seats followed the same seating material as the front seats, and the panel stitching also mimic'd the front door panels.
(this orange car was originally an AM radio car and had an AM/8-Track added later, which explains why no door speakers)

0F91G508706__31.thumb.jpg.87cadd34e13bae

Decor interior cars received the 3-spoke "rim-blow" steering wheel, which had wood grain trim and a cougar emblem.
Also notice the Eliminator dash in this pic.  Eliminators featured black "camera case" finished instrument panels (XR-7 and Standard Cougars had wood grain panels).  Also, Eliminators had a block off plate in the top center of the dash, which replaced the toggle switches seen in the XR-7.
0F91G508706__34.thumb.jpg.81e541bebb0e62

0F91G508706__36.thumb.jpg.d2fc3a882a7337

A few other notes...  Headliner colors were black for black interior cars (including houndstooth), and white for white interior cars.  Dash pad was black for all Eliminators.

I've included some pictures of the "black and white houndstooth checked cloth decor interior" as well (this is considered the "holy grail" combination with competition green).  Door panels were the same as the black decor pics.

mdmp_110500_coug_14+1970_Mercury_Cougar_Eliminator+.jpg

1452095766.jpg

Thanks a ton!   I pretty much came to the conclusion of the camera case dash but wood grain in door and console.  So thanks for confirming that ?    Didn't know about the door speaker thing though.  I will post pics of what I have to work with in the kit.  Do you have a good top view of what the headlight area looks like with hood open.  I think I might build that roughly since you can see it with hood open.  Great pics. Thanks again

Thanks a ton!   I pretty much came to the conclusion of the camera case dash but wood grain in door and console.  So thanks for confirming that ?    Didn't know about the door speaker thing though.  I will post pics of what I have to work with in the kit.  Do you have a good top view of what the headlight area looks like with hood open.  I think I might build that roughly since you can see it with hood open.  Great pics. Thanks again

Ok, try these pics and see how they work for you.  This is a '70 Boss 302 Eliminator that sold at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale in January.  Top notch restoration.

Also found a nice pic of the black camera case dash panel, so folks can get an idea of the texture of it.  Not that I would expect you to reproduce that :-)  But it is one of those things that gets asked... "what does camera-case dash mean?"

0F91G516287_#17.jpg

DSC03324_zpslvng82kl.jpg

DSC03325_zpsuqm7pynx.jpg

DSC03312_zps59tuzfgf.jpg