Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

On 8/31/2020 at 9:21 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

Big Red Rod selling on eBay for 2 - 3 times the amount. Wow...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2499334.m570.l2632&_nkw=big+red+rod&_sacat=1188

On 8/31/2020 at 9:48 PM, Deuces ll said:

And I bet 90% of those we're bought at Ollie's..... ?

Good chance that’s where they came from...

7 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Went to town for groceries........stopped by Oliies......models were wiped out!! One Big Red so I picked it up. No Chevys, 1 48 Ford and plenty of Civil War cannons!!! Who is buying all this stuff....thought we were a dead hobby! 

On line speculators are buying them, operating on the greater fool theory.

I opened the Big Red Rod and in a way kinda like the GRAY plastic over the chrome. I see a current T style with little chrome so no stripping!!!! Mine did not have decals....any one else??? Not a big deal....but makes me think these were thrown together from parts on hand and they did not want to pay for the chrome plating. Either way glad I picked up one.....my store had 8....that's a good number to sell. 

On 9/3/2020 at 10:20 PM, ZTony8 said:

On line speculators are buying them, operating on the greater fool theory.

And the wanna-be "American Pickers."  Every time Ollie's has a kit sale, those kits turn up at a big local flea market.  Some sellers don't even bother to remove the red Ollie's tag.  They just slap their own, marked-up price over it.  Others are sneakier.  I stopped at a table one day where the seller had at least removed the price tags. He went into a hard-sell pitch about "these model kits cost $30 at Hobby Lobby!"  I just laughed and moved on.

Unfortunately, the virus has clobbered our flea markets along with everything else.  At the biggest market, pre-virus all the tables were sold out and some people put their stuff on the ground.  Now there are many empty tables.  Especially in the area I like, the "yard sale tables."  That's where people come by with a garage full of random junk to unload.  Some vendors are there every week and rent their tables permanently.

I just stopped into a new Ollie's (in Easley, SC).  Either they didn't get any of the good stuff like the '48 Ford, or they already got cleaned out (probably).  For anyone thinking about dropping by, the store had:

--Lindberg 1/16 scale Stagecoach and Civil War Cannon/Caisson; 1/48 scale Snark missile; Diesel Tug Boat; Sea Witch; Five Senses

--Revell 1/32 scale Snap-Tite Fire Engine; 1/48 F-102 Delta Dart & FW-190; HALO and Racer-Z kits

--Testors, some pre-painted diecast kits, a couple of cars, helicopters etc.

I'm an automatic door technician and we happen to service Ollie's stores. I've spent the better part of 10 years buying auction lots and reselling things, it hilarious to search anything they sell. If you want to play the long game you might make $5 or $10. I always walk any store I work at and maybe buy a couple because as far as I see a kit for $10 or less is probably worth it. The big hot rod kits are a moneymaker but you have to get in before market saturation which is long gone or wait and sell them months from now. Facebook marketplace around here is loaded with kits people bought thinking they'd make money and they just keep marking them down. 

15998804113477767308700006922369.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2020 at 11:58 AM, Mike999 said:

I stopped at a table one day where the seller had at least removed the price tags. He went into a hard-sell pitch about "these model kits cost $30 at Hobby Lobby!"

Does he accept their 40% off coupon though? ?

Went scouting for kits again this weekend at our local Ollie’s...not much car stuff to be found aside from the Testor’s metal bodied pre-paints and a Scooby Doo bus:

14E9DF00-5E47-4D3A-9582-04D9205B953D.thumb.jpeg.78ad0cbbfe0a8fbd50de5ef9b9b40544.jpeg
1A4FECA9-8A4E-4BCE-9B87-9A759011BF9D.thumb.jpeg.256fff78ad77406202bf3ef8c6d394f6.jpeg

27E1EC86-3AAB-4243-9CE7-AA02611A843D.thumb.jpeg.6b534436dbd33b8939b6498543fa5bbb.jpeg

In good news they seem to have the cure for the Corona at our local store, so that’s helpful ???

E269164F-64D5-4371-963F-248E9F34AC93.thumb.jpeg.252c15feae66b97f6c532aaac177ec51.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Only kits my Ollie's had last time was the little jeep, Scoobie van and some die cast sports car. And they only hit the shelves about 2 weeks after the sale. Unless someone bought them all before I got there. The Colonie store in Albany NY has about 2 people working there and a hiring sign permanently in the window.

Once again: AMT pumper, AMT Diamond Reo, AMT C/O Kenworth, AMT/Ertl International, AMT plated tanker, AMT 75 Gremlin, AMT 62 T Bird

was my haul. Picture of end cap at my store. Seems like Ollie's is the toy show since there aren't any.

20201027_134833.jpg.a8cafe116cdf45a4d781f0c5dd8709fd.jpg

greg

Edited by GLMFAA1
added thought