Model Cars Magazine Forum

Post pics of your fave paint jobs!

On 4/15/2021 at 11:41 AM, papajohn97 said:

Thanks Bob for your compliments on my Willys. I think I clear coated this one with TS-13 after laying down the transparent red. I’m slowly learning ‘best methods’ with Tamiya gloss lacquer color and clear coat rattle cans for me. Things I do are to pre-heat can in hot water, wipe down model with damp paper towel and then wipe dry to discharge static electricity/ reduce dust/ lint, spray multiple thin coats and allow to dry 5-10 min between coats, on final “wet coat”, rotate body around randomly relative to gravity for the first few minutes of drying to prevent wet coat runs. I lucked out on this Willys, most of my gloss jobs have some slight orange peel or semi-gloss to them, I’m definitely still learning....

I always recommend getting the Tamiya static display brush to remove dust and static charge between coats. It takes care of 90% of debris. 

On 3/26/2021 at 6:42 PM, yellowsportwagon said:

This is one of the most striking model builds I’ve seen in my 54 years. Simply beautiful.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, JustCraig said:

This is my latest custom paint job. All done with House of Kolor candies. 

20200223_223304_IMG_6445.JPG

20200223_223847_IMG_6457.JPG

20200223_223434_IMG_6449.JPG

20200223_224520_IMG_6464.JPG

Hi Craig!

Both cars are top notch, bravo! I see a pattern here... You obviously studied the trends that were dominant in the 60's: Panels and lace. However, the flares and body modifications bring them in the current era. 

I'm jealous of your Hornet! I've searched for one, but they are quite rare. Even promos are scarce. All we see once in a while seem to be Johan Funny-car versions...

CT 

I like the way the patterns and colors work together on these. Had to take forever to mask these. 

15 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Craig!

Both cars are top notch, bravo! I see a pattern here... You obviously studied the trends that were dominant in the 60's: Panels and lace. However, the flares and body modifications bring them in the current era. 

I'm jealous of your Hornet! I've searched for one, but they are quite rare. Even promos are scarce. All we see once in a while seem to be Johan Funny-car versions...

CT 

Thank you, the Hornet started as a resin body I found on ebay. It was a nicely molded piece. A copy of the amt kit or promo.