Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mini Lathe & Mini Drill Set Up

Been meaning to post this for awhile. I set up my mini drill next to my lathe so I can drill hole patterns. I have the 7 x 16 lathe and mini drill from Micromark. This drill is NOT for milling. There is no gibbs/gibb plates on the cylinder, just a slot in the cylinder with a extended point set screws. Im sure I could mill plastics and alloys but I dont want to get into that practice with this unit. Being 6'1", this set up is perfect for me when sitting on my bar stool. The set up is mounted on top of my cheap craftsmen rolling cabinet, with 1-1/2" worth of birch plywood top (2 layers), glued and screws to the cabinet.  The drill is mounted to a platform that is 9x15, overall height is 5". The platform base is 9x19, which gives me room to mount it and I have 1" of it over hanging the cabinet, to hang the common tools I use ( chuck keys, center drills, etc...) At some point, Im planning on building a A-frame for this set up, but since I have plenty of birch scraps at work, this was a fast and cheap set up for me. And since I only machine plastics and alloys with no coolant, this should last awhile.

Thanks for looking and comments are always welcomed.

* Also, the drill press base is mounted to the platform ( not shown here)

IMAG4609.jpg

IMAG4610.jpg

Edited by John Clutch