Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mazda MX-5 RF

Maybe it's just me, but the new MX-5 RF looks really cool to me... a mini 599 GTO!

With a red body and black roof and flying buttresses, I think it would look fabulous. An at £33k for the top spec, it's a tad more affordable and available than a 599 GTO, and probably 95% as much fun on normal roads in daily use!

best,

M.

Very cool looking little car. I doubt we'll see them this side of the Atlantic though.

I think it's a pretty safe bet Mazda wouldn't invest the resources and capital on something like this only to exclude it from their most lucrative market...North America.

Nor, probably, would they have shown it at the New York Auto Show. 

See 'em at your local dealers beginning in March.  :D

:lol: Goes to show what I know. I just went by the fact that there is a ton of cool stuff that the manufacturers do that never make it to our shores. This seemed like one of them. Very cool little car.

Every MX-5 (Miata) has been sold in North America since the very beginning. If I recall, I think the very first MX-5 actually made it's world debut at the Chicago Auto Show. Also... if I recall... an American (Motor Trend's Bob Hall) spearheaded the project from the get-go, and the car itself was developed by Mazda's North American unit. 

But yeah... a lot of the really cool stuff ends up staying in the "home market".

Edited by Chuck Most