Model Cars Magazine Forum

Styrene safe aerosol black chrome spray

Is there any such thing? All I'm finding is the little Model Master jar. 

I've airbrushed that stuff for a couple decades now and just love it.

I've been using Krylon Satin Black but my can is now almost empty and Walmart doesn't carry Krylon anymore (mostly Rustoleum) and Hobby Lobby doesn't have the Satin Black in their Krylons. I tried the Rustoleum Semigloss black and it does okay over primer but will etch naked styene. I did a (primed) Corvette interior in it and it looked okay but days later still felt a bit "gummy" like it wasn't fully cured. Since it was "just" an interior I didn't worry too much about it but I wouldn't use it for a black primer final finish. I guess for that I'll keep airbrushing the Model Master Black Chrome Trim.

I've airbrushed that stuff for a couple decades now and just love it.

I've been using Krylon Satin Black but my can is now almost empty and Walmart doesn't carry Krylon anymore (mostly Rustoleum) and Hobby Lobby doesn't have the Satin Black in their Krylons. I tried the Rustoleum Semigloss black and it does okay over primer but will etch naked styene. I did a (primed) Corvette interior in it and it looked okay but days later still felt a bit "gummy" like it wasn't fully cured. Since it was "just" an interior I didn't worry too much about it but I wouldn't use it for a black primer final finish. I guess for that I'll keep airbrushing the Model Master Black Chrome Trim.

I'm looking for a non air brush solution. I'm not at that level yet. Thanks though. 

I'm looking for a non air brush solution. I'm not at that level yet. Thanks though. 

Well, I was kinda telling you what not to buy. Yesterday my Walmart had SOME Krylon paints back (not the whole line, though) and I got a can of Cover MAXX Matte Black. It might be the same thing as their old Satin Black with a new label, or it might be something new. I'll try to test it soon and let you know.

I seriously doubt you'll find a rattlecan product that replicates "black chrome".

Bare Metal Foil has a "black chrome" product.  Image result for Bare metal foil black chrome

Alclad has an airbrush-only product...Image result for alclad black chrome

And then there's this, though it's anybody's guess if it's "styrene safe"...   http://www.motostorm.com/hyperblack.html

79426383.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy