Model Cars Magazine Forum

70 Chicago PD Galaxie

cjanderson

70 Ford Galaxie / Chicago PD. I know, I know........ I couldn't find any references showing CPD used these cars either, but my uncle was on the job then and swears up and down this was the scout cars they used and who am I to question it, he was on the job then, not me. This was a surprise gift for him, so I couldn't prod for too much info from him without him getting suspicious. It was a fairly quick build as he is moving out of state and wanted to get to him before he leaves

IMG_2695.JPG

IMG_2694.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

IMG_2692.JPG

IMG_2691.JPG

IMG_2690.JPG

Hi first that is a awesome build very nice. I'm 65 and have lived in Chicago all my life and I'm retired PD your right and wrong in 1970 Fords were used for police cars but that was the year the city started to change the look half the car's looked like your build the other half were the new all white with the big blue stripe down the side and those cars also had the new roof bar with the two mar's lights and the two center lights the front was blue the back was red and hooked to the brake's. Also the one's like you built that had the two lights in the rear window were only used on Lake shore drive and on the expressways only the city cars did not have the light's in the rear. I hope this helps there was a guy who had a site that had every picture of all the Chicago police cars from 1900 through 2007 but I have not been able to find that site anymore.

Thanks for the info Rick. As mentioned, I didn't want to dig too deep or he would have caught on. Just general ( though some specific ) questions regarding the cars they used. At least a quarter of it I had to employ some guess work and make choices. He was certain he never had the white car though, so that made it a little easier. The rear deck lights were a shot in the dark, he never went into detail which area he worked in. I was hoping to be at least in the ball park and as long as it puts a grin on his ugly mug, I'll take it as mission accomplished. Appreciate the intel brother.

Edited by cjanderson

70 Ford Galaxie / Chicago PD. I know, I know........ I couldn't find any references showing CPD used these cars either, but my uncle was on the job then and swears up and down this was the scout cars they used and who am I to question it, he was on the job then, not me. This was a surprise gift for him, so I couldn't prod for too much info from him without him getting suspicious. It was a fairly quick build as he is moving out of state and wanted to get to him before he leaves

IMG_2695.JPG

IMG_2694.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

IMG_2692.JPG

IMG_2691.JPG

IMG_2690.JPG

I always look forward to seeing your impeccable police car builds! Your uncle should certainly appreciate it. Thanks for sharing it! 

I've got this kit in the stash, but I have the Modelhaus '70 LTD conversion kit for it. I may to pick up a few more of these at some point. 

Hi thanks and again you did a awesome Job on that build I have two set's of the Chicago decals from the JoHan kits and I want to do a couple of cars from the mid 60's  maybe a ford or chevy or dodge. One I thought about would be the 60 Ford I remember that year the City went from the old black cars with the red mars light to the first blue and white from Jan to June the new blue and whites had red mars lights and then in June to Oct they got them all changed over to the new blue lights it was wild seeing a bunch of them at a call and some had blue and others had red I remember my father saying is there now two deferent Dept's I was only 8 at the time. Also most people don't know that 90% of all the cars from 58 through 74 only had in line 6's. I'm sure your uncle was very happy with it I know I would have been.

Hi thanks and again you did a awesome Job on that build I have two set's of the Chicago decals from the JoHan kits and I want to do a couple of cars from the mid 60's  maybe a ford or chevy or dodge. One I thought about would be the 60 Ford I remember that year the City went from the old black cars with the red mars light to the first blue and white from Jan to June the new blue and whites had red mars lights and then in June to Oct they got them all changed over to the new blue lights it was wild seeing a bunch of them at a call and some had blue and others had red I remember my father saying is there now two deferent Dept's I was only 8 at the time. Also most people don't know that 90% of all the cars from 58 through 74 only had in line 6's. I'm sure your uncle was very happy with it I know I would have been.

Thanks again Rick. I took the letters from the JoHan kit but the star, numbers and trunk markings, I made on the alps printer. 

Thanks again gang! This really is a fun kit to build. Just depends how much detail you wanna use. I just did the stock box motor but I know different ones can go in. Have 4 more police builds of different units that are sitting on shelf.