Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wabash Flatbed /Coils/Side Kit

What's goin' on...

Finally this is done!!!

Other pics are in the link and a little background about this project is below.

Thanks for looking!!!

2526616048_c23cdc0823_o.jpg

http://flickr.com/photos/9495602@N02/sets/.../detail/?page=2

This trailer was started in about 04 or 05 being scratch built off of measurements and some designs of a Wabash flatbed. Instead of being a spread axle at the time I prefered it to be a tri axle.

Recently I started working on this again only putting a coil load on it following the side kit. Making this a functional side kit the steak/post pockets brought the width of this trailer to 102 inches wide. If the rub rails were added it'd be close to 104inches being too wide so those were left off.

Two coils were made from calculator/register paper rolls. The first one was painted w/ aluminum metallizer only to flake off later. This time I painted them w/ Dupli-Color "MetalCast". On the sides I wrote 20# meaning they are 20,000 pound each and Art Iron Inc. which is a local major metal/steel supplier. I used black pin stripe tape to look like banding and Bare Metal Foil to look like the band clamps. On these I could only use two chains because the rub rails were left off. I've traded emails w/ a few drivers that hauled coils in the past and they said that one chain is needed for every 10,000 lbs so routing the chains thru the steak pockets front/rear worked out!

The side kit was left as is so the coils could be seen. Only a single panel was installed (per side) to keep the tarp,steaks, and bows enclosed. The panels were bound togather as well as the steaks w/ fine black hobby wire to resemble bungee straps. The winches were scratchbuilt and the straps are ribbon 4mm wide. The tarp is actually of all things plastic picnic table cover. It was cut to size as it was folded I covered it w/ a hand towel and ironed it to create the creases. This was done until it was completely folded up.

Several months ago someone suggested to me to use rhinestone gems to make LED marker and Stop,Tail,Turn lights. I decided to use them on this and they look very convincing! Other rework done to this was a new bulkhead was made and the tires were sanded to look like a hundred thousand miles are on them.

Again

Thanks for looking!

• 2 weeks later...

Scott,

This is excellent, the attention to detail is very good. Have you ever thought about building a trailer with a torsion bar suspension? I saw one or two at the ATHS truck Show in Hutchinson Kansas. There were two day cab Kenworths with 12V71 Detroits both had torsion bar suspensions. These were very impressive. As a result an extended hood W900 with a 12V71 and torsion bar suspension is planned as one of my future builds. If possible I want to try and make the torsion bar system a working suspension. Hmm! Need to give this some thought.

Edited by Old Albion

• 3 weeks later...

What's goin' on...

Ed

What you've mistaken to be the tarp are the side posts. Everything here on this trailer will assemble a complete side kit including the tarp. The only thing not there are the rubber bungee straps. Here's a picture of the posts on top of the tarp.

I appreciate the compliment. I've been a mechanic/fabricator/tireman in the trucking industry for over 17 years. I know the equiptment from a yard/shop perspective but when it boils down to load detail I'm not so aquinted so when you say that's a bang up job that looks convincing I take that as a hell of a compliment.

2525799015_8c85179b25_o.jpg

What's goin' on...

Ed

What you've mistaken to be the tarp are the side posts. Everything here on this trailer will assemble a complete side kit including the tarp. The only thing not there are the rubber bungee straps. Here's a picture of the posts on top of the tarp.

I appreciate the compliment. I've been a mechanic/fabricator/tireman in the trucking industry for over 17 years. I know the equiptment from a yard/shop perspective but when it boils down to load detail I'm not so aquinted so when you say that's a bang up job that looks convincing I take that as a hell of a compliment.

2525799015_8c85179b25_o.jpg

Hey Scott, I musta missed that photo ;) I was referring to the item in the middle of the deck. And yeah, I meant what I said , you did a bang up job! I've been around trucks for roughly 30 yrs. off & on. Hauled alot of steel in my time as a driver since 1986

It does add to the deck that's for sure! Personally, I think it looks good like that.

At first, I thought it was a set of tarps since bein' a flatbed hauler, I have seen

many truckers store their tarps on deck like that.

I've got the old AMT Movin' On kit goin' right now & haven't had time to do much

in the way of building lately. Hopefully this weekend I can squeeze in a few mins. :(