Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 SS 396 chevelle

MODELOESPECIAL

Currently working on this model, I heard this isn't a easy build but I got the kit for 10 bucks at Michaels with a 60% coupon. Slowly detailing it and b uilding my the motor. Stay tuned I will be posting more pics as soon as I get my primer (ordered 4 cans of plastikote on eBay for 30 and got a can for free!) 

IMG_1372.JPG

Eric, I've got the Monogram '66 flip nose I've converted to stock. It's one of those tough ones as well. A lot of patience was required but it's coming along nicely. Don't give up, it'll be worth it when it's done. Why this kit when Lindburg makes a nice one in 1/25? I've collected 1/24 diecast muscle cars for years, mostly DM, FM, GMP and a smattering of Crown Premiums, Unique Replicas & Johnny Lightning. Maisto makes one advertised as 1/24 but in reality it is 1/25. I wanted a '66 Chevelle in 1/24 to go with my 1/24 diecast muscle cars. '66 is my favorite year Chevelle.;)

DSCN1.jpg

DSCN4688.jpg

Edited by Geno

Eric, I've got the Monogram '66 flip nose I've converted. It's one of those tough ones as well. A lot of patience was required but it's coming along nicely. Don't give up, it'll be worth it when it's done.;)

I can certainly agree with what Gene said. I build a lot of older kits and it takes a lot to whip 'em into shape but the results always seem to be worth it. Hang in there and post some pics Eric.

Right Joe, I just wanted to post my pic to give Eric some encouragement and show him you can make the challenging ones look nice with a little patience and finesse LOL. I'm not one to turn away from a challenge. It's my goal to come out on the winning end....one way or the other. Eric, please keep us updated. Kick butt.;):D

Edited by Geno

Thanks for the words of encouragement fellas, Geno that is one smooth paint job my friend what paint did you use? Enamel? Acrylic? Also what clear coat did you use? I will keep you guys posted... should be posting a couple pictures of the 396 motor (I'm trying to detail it as much as I can)B)

Eric, it looks great my friend. The paint is from a company called Automotive Touchup. Just go to their website. They make pretty much any car color ever made. It's the '66 GM Maderia Maroon lacquer, then topcoated with automotive lacquer clearcoat, wet sanded and polished, that's it. A friend of mine gave me some Verdoro Green from them for my '69 Grand Prix I'm building to match the 1:1 I had. It's dead nuts on. Great paint for sure. Anything else I can help with give me a scream. I'll sure help if i can. Blessings, Geno.

Main thing to remember when building the AMT '69 Chevelles is to remove the lower body chrome molding, which is correct for a '68 SS or a '69 Malibu but NOT for a '69 SS396.

I may do mine as a '68. I bought the Modelhaus '68 conversion kit several years ago, and I have 2 convertibles. I may just do it.

I may do mine as a '68. I bought the Modelhaus '68 conversion kit several years ago, and I have 2 convertibles. I may just do it.

I have a '68 conversion on my final Modelhaus order. Not my favorite year of Chevelle, but I'll need one just for completeness' sake. It'll be red with black vinyl top. I think the one in the showroom brochure was that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work! If you're putting this kind of effort into the exhaust pipes, it'll be interesting to see what you do to fix those taillights. Model on! B)

I agree - those AMT tail lights are horrible, so I'll also be watching to see how you resolve that issue.  I heard the '69 promo had more correct units, so I ordered a set from Modelhaus (still waiting).  This kit is old and needs a little extra effort to turn out well, but you seem to be up to the task.