Model Cars Magazine Forum

Original Monogram '30 Delivery...Engine to Use?

I'm rebuilding an old, original, 1960's kit Monogram 1930 four-door wagon into a 2-door delivery with a street rod look. Tubbed rear fenders, slight nose down stance, most of the lower raised "wood" pieces scraped off the sides and back to leave a two-line horizontal belt and the opened areas will be filled with real wood veneer. The original model, built by another, was in really rough shape without an engine. Seeing as this is a 1/24 scale model I'm open to suggestions for a nice "mild" Street Rod/Cruiser type Ford engine for this build. All of my spare engines are 1/25 scale. I know the kit has been recently re-issued but I'm seeking something a bit different. Anyone know of a readily available kit in 1/24 scale that has two engine options (so I can still build the new kit) that would work with this build?

Many thanks for your thoughts! Joe

Let me look in my stacks..... :blink:

Thanks zebm1..I appreciate your looking! I used to have "stacks" (about 1100 models) but after sending about half to Iraq and giving away a bunch to Toys for Tots and friends...well, wouldn't you just know that when I need that "certain" 1/24 scale model for parts it's not on the shelf :) ; oh well, it's a shame...I might have to go to the LHS.....again... :D:D:P

Edited by rhoadapple

Hi guys! Thanks for your great ideas. The engines you have suggested are listed as 1/25 scale rather than the 1/24 scale of the old Monogram kit. Both of your suggestions were, in fact, my first choices when considering this build. Not sure if these two choices would appear too small in the old Monogram '30 model. Any thoughts on this?

Guest zebm1

Hey Rhoada, if ya want a multi-carb engine I'd get the AMT Cobra roadster kit. As far as tha difference between 1/25th and 1/24th it is very minor..... for instance: divide 12" by 24= 0.5, divide 12" by 25= 0.48...that's not a very large difference. I've put1/25th scale parts on 1/24th scale models.....most can't tell tha difference without a ruler.....

I used the Pontiac out of the original 1/24 Monogram 34 Ford in my Monogram Deuce roadster, fit like a glove!

The above mentioned Deuce was out recently in black/yellow in an Amigo pack which included a similarly painted diecast 1/64th or so 32 coupe. The engine was a typical small block Chevy with 4 barrel manifold, round chrome air cleaner and stock style rams horns manifolds. A very similar engine is in the 30 touring kit, except with 3 deuces. There's some workable 1/24th Hemis and other engines in most Monogram kits, especially the show rods, so you may take the time to look there as well.

Edited by Phil Patterson

Thanks for the ideas Zeb and Phil!

Zeb, I think you're right in the small difference in scale size and in my eyes this Monogram '30 model looks closer to 1/25 anyway. I'm going to stick some of my engine stash in and see what it looks like. Leadsled had a good idea with the new Revell '32 Sedan engines..I've got the kit and will check that out.

Phil, I've seen that '34 Ford Amigo Pack offering somewhere around this area...will see if I can track it down and give it a look. BTW, where abouts in WV are you? My wife is from the Lost Creek/Clarksburg area and we lived there for a number of years when first married. I really like the people from West Virginia!! (Could do without the ramps in the Spring though :):lol::D )

What about the flatty from the monogram '40 pickup and '36 coupe? has finned heads and three deuces...

Good ideas, Mono,...having thought of those I haven't located either kit. Have to be careful not to buy a kit like those mentioned just for the engine for the '30 project. :lol: