Model Cars Magazine Forum

Might be a stupid question

dry brushing is done by getting paint on your brush then brushing off most of the paint on a paper towel and then lightly going across a raised surface such as lettering on a tire or dash board details and even trim takes a little practice but should be relativly easy . a black wash is simply black paint thinned way down so that it does not stick to the raised parts but does darken the low spots usually used on grilles almost the opposite of dry brushing because you are wiping off the raised parts during this exercise hope this helps

Guest Gramps-xrds
This might be a stupid question but what is dry brushing and how can I make a black wash?

To start off, there is no such thing as a stupid question, so don't belittle yourself by thinking it is stupid. There are things we just don't know or understand and if you don't ask you'll never learn.

Dry brushing is a process of getting a small amount of paint on something by wiping most of the paint off the brush before you apply it to something. This can be used to get a streaked appearance or to add small amounts of another color onto something.

I use thinned artist acrylics for black washes. It wipes off really easy and if you don't like it you can take it back off w/ some Windex. Some ppl use other stuff like craft paint and even thinned enamels. It's all a matter of preference. :lol::lol:

:wacko::wacko: I hope this helps you. I'm sure there are a lot of ppl on here who can probably do a better job of explaining it and I'm sure they will.

I'd like to hear more about how to do that to the grill. We all know how detailed the 70 Challenger grill is. The only thing I could think of to get the look I want was to paint the whole grill silver, let it dry REALLY good, then lay some flat black on it and wipe it off of the part thats raised. Is there a better way to do this???

I take it that I would need to paint the grill silver BEFORE the black?? I'm still kinda confused on the water part though. :D The grill has those teeny tiny lil' squares. Could I just thin some regular ol' flat black paint?? I really wanna get "The Detailor" paints. I think that stuff looks great. Never used it, but I wish I had it to tint my windows and other cool things!! I wanna thank you for your help Bluesman Mark....

I have been toying with the idea of just cutting it out and buying the photo-etch kit for this car and it has a grill insert. I just dont know if I'm ready for that or not. I guess the only way to find out is to start cutting right?? What would be the best method to cut that out? The only thing I can think of to use would be my Craftsman rotary tool, but I dont know what attatchments would work best for this..

Heres a pic of the grill.

FATHERSDAYWEEKEND08082.jpg

Thats just one detail I've always seen as something that HAS to look right!