Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hooper & Co Diorama

The Steinway & Sons grand piano has been delivered to Hooper & Co. this morning, and Osmond Rivers as the manager is casting an appreciative eye over this fine instrument. He is deciding where to place the piano, in relation to the Rolls-Royce cars that will occupy the floor space of the ground floor showroom.

David

101_9513.JPG

101_9515.JPG

101_9530.JPG

101_9537.JPG

101_9552.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Kodiak Island Modeler said:

Your attention to detail and quality of implementation of construction is immeasurably beyond words fabulous.  I am most truly inspired.

Thank you very much, Douglas........ and it means a lot to me that you have been inspired by what you see here. The project continues !

David

5 minutes ago, Mopar - D said:

David awesome details and amazing how you have been able to evolve your diorama over time. Looking forward to seeing what you do next. 

Kind words indeed, Dan........ and thank you for having a look at my topic. Currently, I am building a 1:24 scale Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud I, which is based on an actual 1957 motor car and uses mostly parts from the Revell kit. There should be some new photos posted here during this weekend, so watch this space!

David

Work is well under way on this 1:24 scale Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud I mostly from a Revell kit. Having learned a great deal over the past 4 years of model car building and painting, and also having recently built the 1953 Moebius Hudson Hornet kit, I am striving to achieve the best ever build yet of a Silver Cloud.

The body parts have been sanded down thoroughly with 80, 180, 320, 400 and 600 grade wet & dry papers, and I have applied Automotive Orange Filler Primer spray........ more sanding followed, from 320 to 600 wet & dry. Just today, I have sprayed the upper body of this model with Rolls-Royce Sage Green, which is an aerosol cellulose paint, and the lower body will later be sprayed Rolls-Royce Smoke Green, also a cellulose paint. All the chrome work in the Revell kit is grey plastic, which allows me to apply yacht varnish followed by Molotow Liquid Chrome Pen, whereas the Minicraft kit for this car has the parts already chromed, but not particularly well. Some of the chrome mouldings on the body will be done with Bare Metal Foil later.

One of the attached photos shows the actual motor car that I have base this model on. This Silver Cloud is unusual because it was an experimental car which never left the Rolls-Royce factory, and the car was fitted with several different V8 engines, so not the inline 6 - cylinder engine that a Silver Cloud I would normally have. The car has a special experimental chassis number, 32B and the registration number was licensed to the Rolls-Royce factory, 225 ALG.

The reason that I need to build a 1957 Silver Cloud, is that I have one for each year of production, which was 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958 and 1959, but the 1957 model car was sold to the owner of the actual real car, leaving a gap in the run of cars. My attention to detail will be much more precise this time round, and a good example of this will be the windscreen / windshield. The method of attaching the kit screen clear plastic to the inside of the body shell is not correct, and the method of attaching a screen cut from thinner clear plastic to the outside of the body shell, is also not to my liking. This build will see me attempting to insert a thin clear plastic screen into the windscreen frame aperture....... which is guaranteed to pose an interesting challenge !

David

32B_1.png

101_9899.JPG

101_9935.JPG

101_9938.JPG

101_9960.JPG

7 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

This remains my favorite thread David.  I am going to follow your latest build of the '57 with greatest interest. 

Much appreciated, Eric and I have a feeling this one should be an important part of the project. Certainly, the paintwork aspect of the build is demanding greater attention, and the chrome work application also. The masking tape has been removed from the body of the Silver Cloud, and the Sage Green looks pretty good, so during today the masking tape goes on, ready for the Smoke Green lower half. Thanks for watching !

David