Model Cars Magazine Forum

Red C2 1963 Split Window Corvette Stingray

RestoModGuy

Started with the newer release AMT kit. Not very impressive kit, low detail chassis and interior. 

Custom front airdam, custom taillights, arm and headrests on stock molded seats, Pegasus wheels and sleeves with PE Spinners give it an updated restomod look.

Duplicolor Bright Red with several hand cut polished clear coats and BMF give it a nice overall finish.

DSCN1771.thumb.JPG.78aa3c3f0cbc149f324e0

DSCN1772.thumb.JPG.d9a1839348acb7dc7971a

DSCN1781.thumb.JPG.bec137c25fea389b51287

DSCN1783.thumb.JPG.f4d6987a7b322eac9c265

DSCN1777.thumb.JPG.1ebc737efb40f60b88a1c

DSCN1780.thumb.JPG.48859de0eb0f0f010974c

DSCN1773.thumb.JPG.708610d6925a105c7a9ab

That looks good! Remember, the molds for that kit were first made in 1962, so the detail is from 1962 and I don't think the molds were ever updated :) 

AMT was capable of far better chassis detailing when they chose to be.  Consider their '58 Chevy Impala with its poseable front wheels, multi-piece front and rear suspensions & separate exhaust.  Basically everything their '63 'Vette is missing, yet both kits were designed within years of each other.

MPC released their '64 'Vette with a far better chassis, so I'll always wonder  why AMT skimped on everything in the '63.

AMT was capable of far better chassis detailing when they chose to be.  Consider their '58 Chevy Impala with its poseable front wheels, multi-piece front and rear suspensions & separate exhaust.  Basically everything their '63 'Vette is missing, yet both kits were designed within years of each other.

MPC released their '64 'Vette with a far better chassis, so I'll always wonder  why AMT skimped on everything in the '63.

Two different animals though since the 58 was part of the Trophy Series of kits designed with more options and higher detail. The annuals from AMT were basically glorified promos with some extra detail and custom parts thrown at them.

That being said, your build of this kit is excellent. You nailed the stance, and those wheels look killer tucked under the fenders like that. Very well done!

One of the first kits I ever built. Molded in gray if I remember correctly. Must have been the first issue of the kit. That one is long gone but I have one built and another unbuilt. Not great detail but is still a nice model of a very desirable Vette . You`re build looks great.