Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

Dear mcm members....

Currently iam building 1/12 camaro.....

Thinking to replicate the vinyl top on the kit.....

Any suggestion on material, how to do it... 

And the chrome list around the vinyl....

Any suggeation will really help

Many thanks for sharing ......

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cien1986 said:

Dear mcm members....

Currently iam building 1/12 camaro.....

Thinking to replicate the vinyl top on the kit.....

Any suggestion on material, how to do it... 

And the chrome list around the vinyl....

Any suggeation will really help

Many thanks for sharing ......

 

Model Masters makes vinyl top spray paint..i found this out after i did one myself..what i did was cut me 2 small thin strips of plastruct sheeting and glued them down to look like the seams..next i got a make up brush thats about the size of a dime and i pored out some black paint from a testors bottle (do not thin its got to be thick to work ).  then i started dabbing it in the pant then to the car top..(try this on scrap plastic first)..it will give u the texture look of a vinyl roof as u build up the paint..the picture below u can see what it looks like if u decide to do it that way..

DSC02935.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have done a couple of vinyl roofs using Rust-Oleum Textured spray paint. They offer Black, White, and a think a light Brown color. This will give you a textured finish that looks very much like a Vinyl Roof. Since it is all hard to mask off I would recommend spraying the Textured paint after all of the other paintwork including the Clear Coat has been done. Remember to mask off any moldings around the top that you're going to Chrome since it leaves a rough surface and wouldn't look correct to try and Chrome.  I would recommend testing on a plastic spoon to see if the finish is what you're after.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vinyl tops can be a little tricky, or at least seem that way.

The biggest snafu that I see with vinyl tops on 1/25th scale kits is making the texture too pronounced.

You have to remember that everything on this model should be 1/25th the size of the real thing.

That translates into a pretty fine texture.

Personally, I get the best results with just using a spray can & shooting the paint from a little more of a distance than you normally would creating a fine orange peel.

I have also found that a flat paint looks the most realistic in my eye as apposed to a matte or semi gloss.

You can add the vinyl "sheen" by merely rubbing your fingers on the flat paint after it has dried to the touch.

The oils from your fingers will create a light sheen.

The chrome trim can be replicated using styrene strip, & I like to use .007" clear film for the top seams.

 

Steve

 

2v29YESvCxwUbWP.jpg2v29YESwFxwUbWP.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thank you Henry, but remember, your model will be 1/12 scale, so the texture will need to be a little heavier in that case.

 

Steve

Thanks steve....

I wonder... wil it work with synthetic leather which usualy people covering car seat or motorcycle seat...

It has a cloth for reinforcement on the back of the syn vinyl... 

Maybe remove it will do...

Any one ever try this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Cien1986 said:

Thanks steve....

I wonder... wil it work with synthetic leather which usualy people covering car seat or motorcycle seat...

It has a cloth for reinforcement on the back of the syn vinyl... 

Maybe remove it will do...

Any one ever try this?

Probably still way too thick.

 

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/31/2017 at 6:38 PM, BigTallDad said:

Krylon offered (at one time) a paint called Make It Suede. If you can find it, the paint will make some very realistic vinyl roofs.

I accessed the Krylon website and there is nothing called "make it suede"anywhere to be found.Hobby Lobby doesn't carry it and I had one Walmart employee tell me they USED to carry it.A internet search turns up absolutely nothing. I think i'm going to use a flat rattle can shot from a distance and try for some scale texture suing that method.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

I accessed the Krylon website and there is nothing called "make it suede"anywhere to be found.Hobby Lobby doesn't carry it and I had one Walmart employee tell me they USED to carry it.A internet search turns up absolutely nothing. I think i'm going to use a flat rattle can shot from a distance and try for some scale texture suing that method.

I guess I'm lucky to have two cans of the stuff. Too bad it isn't readily available anymore...it works well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, misterNNL said:

I accessed the Krylon website and there is nothing called "make it suede"anywhere to be found.Hobby Lobby doesn't carry it and I had one Walmart employee tell me they USED to carry it.A internet search turns up absolutely nothing. I think i'm going to use a flat rattle can shot from a distance and try for some scale texture suing that method.

Another thing that you could try is spraying a coat of gloss paint from a distance as you would the flat.

The gloss has a tendency to orange peel more than flat will.

Flat paint levels better as it dries, so less orange peel is likely.

After the orange peeled gloss dries, you can spray over it with a coat or two of flat in the desired color.

 

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/2/2018 at 12:28 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Another thing that you could try is spraying a coat of gloss paint from a distance as you would the flat.

The gloss has a tendency to orange peel more than flat will.

Flat paint levels better as it dries, so less orange peel is likely.

After the orange peeled gloss dries, you can spray over it with a coat or two of flat in the desired color.

 

Steve

 

On 1/10/2018 at 5:06 AM, El Roberto said:

Try this utube link, I used his method and it looks great. 

 

 

Thanks guys.... for sharing good tips....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...