Model Cars Magazine Forum

I got an idea!! Theme build inspired by Rants!

Greg, the pic didn't show but I can click on it and open in another browser no prob. Looks good!

I am out of free time at the moment so progress has stalled here too... but not to worry.

As for the theme, I believe your original intention was to build something to help the builder express his or her political and religious views... or something like that. In order to keep it interesting, my suggestion was to open it to any subject matter. Rat Rods was just one suggestion... but not the only suggestion. Japanese cars, Hot Rods, Street Machines.... WHATEVER! No memo to be received and no change of subject.

Okay? ;)

I do, heck I'll let you have the whole body! ;)

Thanks Nick! I really want to build the BRE. It has always jumped out at me as "cool". It is funny that the recent release of the 240 had most of the racing stuff in it too. Thankfully, my kit still has the chin spoiler, even if missing the clip. Now, all I will have to do is resurrect the decals.

Jairus, thanks for looking, and I was just kidding about the "memo" thing. I just had fallen behind on a few things, and that thread was one of 'em. Your car is great. I am always blown away by the talent and imagination of you, and the others here have.

Have a good day all,

Greg

:unsure: HEY GREG,

THANKS FOR MENTIONING ME AND BIGG'S IN THE NEW ISSUE#132 FOR THE NNL EAST SHOW!! IT WAS AN AWSOME SHOW AND WE WILL BE ATTENDING IT NEXT YEAR SO WE WILL BE SEEING YOU SOON!! AND THANKS FOR THE LOVE FOR BOTH OF US!! YOUR THE BEST BRO!! I'LL KEEP POSTING UP MY NEWEST WICKED CREATIONS FOR THE 09 SHOWS :lol: YOUR FRIEND AND FAN OF MCM, SANTIAGO AKA MR.1/16TH :D

Okay, got out the old build and got it stripped. It originally was grabber green, but I was struck with inspiration the other night. They call them mini-mustangs so...

aoshima1-1.jpg

aoshima2-1.jpg

aoshima3-1.jpg

Anybody know where the inspiration came from? Still have to decide on rims. I may keep the ones here or find some 15 inch watanabe/minilites.

Oh yeah, colors are testors one coat Blazing Black and Revving Red.... Anybody got any white 'C' stripes for the sides???

Edited by Ken

Okay, got out the old build and got it stripped. It originally was grabber green, but I was struck with inspiration the other night. They call them mini-mustangs so...

aoshima1-1.jpg

aoshima2-1.jpg

aoshima3-1.jpg

Anybody know where the inspiration came from? Still have to decide on rims. I may keep the ones here or find some 15 inch watanabe/minilites.

Oh yeah, colors are testors one coat Blazing Black and Revving Red.... Anybody got any white 'C' stripes for the sides???

BUD MOORE!!! ;):rolleyes:

This is sweeeeeet, I love it. Love the look and those wheels that you have planned will perfectly match the car, Watanabe's are a good representation too so, no matter them or MiniLites, it'll be a good choice. :D

BUD MOORE!!! :blink::P

DING, DING, DING!!!!!! We have a wiener!!!

I keep waffling... er flip-flopping :rolleyes: over whether or not to paint my 1:1 like that when the time comes. The wife has suggested a deep metallic eggplant like color. I figure I have the sport slats, Koing rewind wheels are the new Watanbe and just 400$ or so a set... I just need to find a go-wing to fit.

DING, DING, DING!!!!!! We have a wiener!!!

I keep waffling... er flip-flopping :P over whether or not to paint my 1:1 like that when the time comes. The wife has suggested a deep metallic eggplant like color. I figure I have the sport slats, Koing rewind wheels are the new Watanbe and just 400$ or so a set... I just need to find a go-wing to fit.

yaaay! :rolleyes:

typical of her..."eggplant" :blink: purple would be different

I like the Rewinds :D

I have no idea what this build is about, but there are some cool things in here. Flex fuel flathead? That's great...

Ken, after months of losing sleep on what to paint my 1:1 '67 Mustang, I think you just made up my mind.

Maybe I'll hop into this build, once I get around to casting 24 batteries for my all-electric street rod. That fits the theme, doesn't it?

Hey fellas, bored at work again. I don't have an update picture, but I have made a little progress on my rat. I found out that using little railroad rivets to make a tonoeu (sp???) snaps is rather frustrating. I have started to get my glue bomb engine together, and I have painted my interior too. I am going to dechrome some parts and try and put it in the weeds.

I saw a tutorial on sectioning not too long ago. Has anybody tried this on the revell '32 highboy? Would it be worth the trouble? The body just seems to, well, high. Body work is not my forte, but the only way to learn is to do, right? Any tidbits of advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys,

Greg

If you are going to section, see if you can find an AMT 32 roadster. They are already wedge sectioned. They lose something like 2 mm the in the front of the body. I would try channeling before I went with sectioning the body. Channeling is kinda the same, but different. Drop the body over the rails and rework the interior. The chassis rails hanging off the bottom make the body look taller than it is.

Hey Ken, thanks for the advice. I actually have the amt kit. I got it cheap years ago because it was missing all but three tires. I have decided to use the chrysler engine in it instead of the 289 I had planned. Since you are familiar with that kit, do you think you can give me some info about that engine? It doesn't seem to have a fan, and the heads have the plug holes, but the "chrysler fire power" valve covers have none. Should I add a fan on the H2O pump pulley? I am not familiar with early hemi's at all, so I am unsure how that set-up is. I do at least have a nice pre-wired magneto! Thanks again.

Mark, I have one of those old revell "gran turismo"s, and it has a corvair engine option, and it looks to have performance stuff on it. It is yours if you can use it/want it. Just let me know.

I too have the temp/humidity problem here in Tx. My paint booth is in my garage and it is hot in there pretty much 24/7. If anybody has some good tips on painting in bad conditions, feel free to share, because I would love to hear it.

I hope that everyone had a nice weekend.

Take care,

Greg

That hemi is set up for drag racing. It is alright, but soft on the details. If you have a recent issue of the 29 model A laying around it has a nice early hemi in it. Also the AMT 53 has a great hemi in it as well. If you do decide to use the hemi in the 32, it will need a water pump and fan along with water hoses and such. I don't think the heads have plug holes, but I don't have it handy right now to check. On the valve covers, the bar that is molded onto the top covers the plug holes. The bar is actually the cover that the plug wires were routed under. To wire it you would just drill a hole large enough to fit your wires in on the firewall side of the engine. The the wires go right from the dist/mag into the hole.

did they really call them street rods back then? just rods right! :lol:

I really don't think a right wing inspired VW is right.......... B);)

They were 'Hot Rods' then! (and "politically Incorrect!") Also known as 'Cut-Downs', 'Strip-Downs', 'Hop-Ups', 'Heaps', and 'Irons'.

Hey, these chopped and fenderless 'Hot Rod' VWs with the Dago axles up front are way cool...

Plug a 2180 mill in there and a 1,000 lb. car will run high 11s! Certainly worth modelling! Take a look...

so•calook official homepage

Dale, that is really cool. I am plugging along on mine, but it is like comparing a coloring book to the Mona Lisa! I brought a couple of pieces of it to work today, so I hope to get a little done. Now I know what it feels like to be the guy pulling up next to a mustang in a smart car. Can't wait to see more!

Later,

Greg