Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ladies and Gentlemen: My dream daily driver: C7 Corvette (+Added Video)

ismaelg

Hello!

I know modern cars are not exactly the cup of tea of the majority of forum members here.  But I'm very happy to present this  humble model.  You see, this is  my first completion since 2009!  While it won't hold a candle to what I was doing 10 years ago, I'm nonetheless  very happy to be back!   

This is Revell's 1/25 snap C7 kit, so from the start we all knew this curbside was not going to get too far. I took it as a factory stock challenge.

I built it as my dream daily driver as I would have ordered it: A C7 Corvette Stingray Z51, Laguna blue with Kalahari interior.  The Z51 performance package includes upgraded brakes with slotted rotors, Z51 specific wheels and full width rear spoiler among other things.  Option J6F: red painted calipers is represented.  The interior represents a top of the line 3LT  trim level in Kalahari color.  This option included the top of the dash in Kalahari color for 2014 and 2015.  But from 2016 forward, the top of the dash was black even in the 3LT trim level, making this car a 2014 or 2015 model year.  However, this car also includes option EYT: Carbon Flash Package option which includes Carbon Flash (metallic black) emblems in the front and rear bumpers, the CORVETTE script letters in the back and the 2 fender stingray emblems, replacing the  standard chrome items.  This option was not available in 2014 so essentially making this representing a 2015 car.  I also blacked out the front grille's chrome bar.  This was not part of the EYT option until 2016 so I took a little artistic license there. Hey! It's MY car!   This car also has option CFZ: front splitter and side rocker panels in carbon flash.  This is a popular aftermarket option for C7s.

As for the build, I used Scalefinishes Laguna blue paint and Scalefinishes clear.  I removed the molded exhaust tips and made my own aluminum tips. The car also has full carpeting (flocking), full instrumentation including both displays and gauges,  added scratchbuilt seat belts with hardware, inside mirror and outside mirror faces.  I machined my own rotors and scratchbuilt calipers, front splitter and side rocker panels. Valve stems were added to the wheels. Inspection sticker and license plate make it legal.  The ride height was tuned to my taste.  Emblems are home brewed decals.

You can check the progress thread here:  http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/105147-c7-corvette/ 

Finally, a prominent feature of the car, the headlights, are very disappointing  in the kit.  I did my best and modified the parts but still not fully happy with them.  Proper headlights would require extensive and very time consuming scratchbuilding.

Anyways,  here it is!

2v2Ja3fwFxJ21ND.jpg

2v2Ja3ftWxJ21ND.jpg

2v2Ja3fYGxJ21ND.jpg

2v2Ja3f6gxJ21ND.jpg

2v2Ja3fACxJ21ND.jpg

Hope you like it. What do you think?

Thanks,

Edited by ismaelg

4 minutes ago, ismaelg said:

Hello!

I know modern cars are not exactly the cup of tea of the majority of forum members here.  But I'm very happy to present this  humble model.  You see, this is  my first completion since 2009!  While it won't hold a candle to what I was doing 10 years ago, I'm nonetheless  very happy to be back!   

This is Revell's 1/25 snap C7 kit, so from the start we all knew this curbside was not going to get too far. I took it as a factory stock challenge.

I built it as my dream daily driver as I would have ordered it: A C7 Corvette Stingray Z51, Laguna blue with Kalahari interior.  The Z51 performance package includes upgraded brakes with slotted rotors, Z51 specific wheels and full width rear spoiler among other things.  Option J6F: red painted calipers is represented.  The interior represents a top of the line 3LT  trim level in Kalahari color.  This option included the top of the dash in Kalahari color for 2014 and 2015.  But from 2016 forward, the top of the dash was black even in the 3LT trim level, making this car a 2014 or 2015 model year.  However, this car also includes option EYT: Carbon Flash Package option which includes Carbon Flash (metallic black) emblems in the front and rear bumpers, the CORVETTE script letters in the back and the 2 fender stingray emblems, replacing the  standard chrome items.  This option was not available in 2014 so essentially making this representing a 2015 car.  I also blacked out the front grille's chrome bar.  This was not part of the EYT option until 2016 so I took a little artistic license there. Hey! It's MY car!   This car also has option CFZ: front splitter and side rocker panels in carbon flash.  This is a popular aftermarket option for C7s.

As for the build, I used Scalefinishes Laguna blue paint and Scalefinishes clear.  I removed the molded exhaust tips and made my own aluminum tips. The car also has full carpeting (flocking), full instrumentation including both displays and gauges,  added scratchbuilt seat belts with hardware, inside mirror and outside mirror faces.  I machined my own rotors and scratchbuilt calipers, front splitter and side rocker panels. Valve stems were added to the wheels. Inspection sticker and license plate make it legal.  The ride height was tuned to my taste.  Emblems are home brewed decals.

You can check the progress thread here:  http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/105147-c7-corvette/ 

Finally, a prominent feature of the car, the headlights, are very disappointing  in the kit.  I did my best and modified the parts but still not fully happy with them.  Proper headlights would require extensive and very time consuming scratchbuilding.

Anyways,  here it is!

2v2Ja3fwFxJ21ND.jpg

2v2Ja3ftWxJ21ND.jpg

2v2Ja3fYGxJ21ND.jpg

2v2Ja3f6gxJ21ND.jpg

2v2Ja3fACxJ21ND.jpg

Hope you like it. What do you think?

Thanks,

Fantastic! 

Wow! It looks great. If it has to be a modern car, you picked one of the good ones. The C7 is the best looking Corvette since 1973. The last year for any chrome bumpers on a Corvette. At least in the rear. The C7 looked right to me from the first time saw it. And the color you picked, is the one I would go with on a real C7 if I had one. Nice job. 

Thank you all! I appreciate all your comments.  

I finally finished editing a 3 minute video on this model.  I always wanted to do this but it was actually harder than I thought.

Let me know what you think of the video.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...