Model Cars Magazine Forum

'60 Desoto mild kustom UNDER GLASS-done

RodBurNeR

Been quite awhile since i posted progress here. I thought maybe someone might enjoy seeing this kit getting built. I will let the photos talk for now, i will post finished pics soon!

started with this....

100_7660vi-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

this is where i am now....shaved body , kandy organic green with pearl white roof, 65 riviera wires and Bob Dudek lake pipes

******this is just a mockup, the clear coat is not even on yet*******

100_8011-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

Edited by awbcrazy

i just posted this on another board, and have been asked everywhere....so here is an example for now lol

i use a Black Gold polishing kit. i think it ranges from 2,600-12,000 grit sanding cloths. if you start with the lowest grit and work your way up to the 12,000....you don't really need to even wax, it's just that smooth and clean looking! each grit removes the scratches from the last grit used. starting with the 2,600 will knock down orange peel or roughness in the clear coat. i use KIT Carnauba auto wax when i am done with the sanding, which is what gives me the really deep and wet shine. other than that.....if i didn't wax, it would be almost the same.....just less glossy or deep like.

i am still not done sanding the Desoto at this point because there are so many angles and sharp edges. the kit i use also comes with a foam sanding block which is soft and can be cut up to suit you.

the sanding cloths are very flexible and usable over and over, unlike wet/dry sand paper.

here is what it looks like with NO wax (the hood shown above was waxed)

some comparison pics

this is finished with 12,000 and NO wax

100_8013-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

this shows how dull i have each panel before the final waxing....everything must be completely dull and smooth, free of divits or whatever....

100_8014-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

this is to show the waxed hood next to the trunk lid which was only hit with 2,600 so far.

100_8017-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

HUBBA, HUBBA, HUBBA!!!! That is one smooth custom! The others are right, those late 50s early 60s mopars don't need much to look right. That is one kit I wish Jo-han could find the molds for!!!!

thanks for all your comments!

she is polished finally! man what a tough sucker to take pics of in the conditions you see. anywho..i tried to get some reflections in there. notice the exhaust from my paint booth reflect on the trunk. should be able to make out all the little detail from the flex pipe.

100_8023-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

100_8037-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

couldn't help myself! i have been putting stuff together most the night. tomorrow night or very early morning this will be done. i am kinda bummed that i don't or am not spending the time to detail paint more....BUT, i am really happy with the overall "shelf" appearance. everything on the outside view is A-OK and that is all i care about.

100_8040-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki