Model Cars Magazine Forum

Homemade decals

Yep, I made my own, using clear decal material by a company that starts with a "P" and our HP printer.  I don't think I did anything weird with the print setup: I might have selected photo paper as the decal material has a glossy surface.  I'm not sure of the print quality I selected as I printed the images a couple of years ago.  The black letters came out PK, but the yellow are semi opaque- over medium blue, they look olive green- and many of the red letters bled like a stuck pig.  I allowed plenty of time for the images to  dry before I coated them with Micro Scale liquid decal film.  And, I applied the decals many months after they were finished.  Does anyone have some tips or hints or tricks, or are any good tutorials available?  Thanks in advance.

Is the decal paper specifically made for ink jet (not laser) printing? I don't have any pointers on the proper ink jet printer setup (I print my decals on Alps thermal transfer printer), but I can tell you that even if you manage to print the decal correctly, if you apply it to a non-white surface all the non-black colors are translucent and will not show their true colors.  All the standard consumer color printers (CYMK) use translucent colored inks and they need a white background to have the colors properly rendered. My Alps printer is also a CYMK printer but it can also lay down a layer of opaque white ink as an undercoat for the color (CYMK) inks which print over the white.

For more info on CYMK color model see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMYK_color_model