Model Cars Magazine Forum

USPS parcel post SUCKS!!!!

Hi, I've been waiting for over two weeks to get a box of some really neat stuff I won on ebay. The seller used parcel post because it was cheaper(charged me 17.00 for shipping). Well, with the USPS you get what you pay for. Poor service. I have shipped stuff overseas and have gotten better service. From now on when I win something on ebay I advise the seller NOT to use parcel post. I encourage everyone to do the same thing. Thanks,steve

i have been using everything for years.....i always go with the best deal , most the time i am in a trade or something....but if i sell something the buyer pays actual shipping and they know what shipping option i am using before it's shipped. i ALWAYS get delivery confirmation and or insurance. the postal service is funny that way.....they get overloaded at times and only push the most important stuff forward to fill trucks and planes and get it on the move to it's destination. if there is a package that has no delivery confirmation, is not priority or insured....basically it sits in the background until they have knocked most of the pile down. this could be what happened with your package.

i have been using everything for years.....i always go with the best deal , most the time i am in a trade or something....but if i sell something the buyer pays actual shipping and they know what shipping option i am using before it's shipped. i ALWAYS get delivery confirmation and or insurance. the postal service is funny that way.....they get overloaded at times and only push the most important stuff forward to fill trucks and planes and get it on the move to it's destination. if there is a package that has no delivery confirmation, is not priority or insured....basically it sits in the background until they have knocked most of the pile down. this could be what happened with your package.

HI, The fault falls upon the seller for sending it parcel post. Just wanted to let people know what could happen. The decsion is yours. Steve

Hi, I've been waiting for over two weeks to get a box of some really neat stuff I won on ebay. The seller used parcel post because it was cheaper(charged me 17.00 for shipping). Well, with the USPS you get what you pay for.

EXACTLY!

There's a reason that parcel post costs less. It's a slower service than priority mail. There's no reason to blame the post office...they offer faster, more expensive service (priority mail) or cheaper, slower service (parcel post). The choice is up to you. You and the buyer agreed to use parcel post. The post office didn't make the choice!

EXACTLY!

There's a reason that parcel post costs less. It's a slower service than priority mail. There's no reason to blame the post office...they offer faster, more expensive service (priority mail) or cheaper, slower service (parcel post). The choice is up to you. You and the buyer agreed to use parcel post. The post office didn't make the choice!

Yep, I always use USPS priority mail and stuff usually arrives in 2 business days, 3 days at the most. The best part is, they will give you free boxes and labels to ship the stuff in when you use priority mail. All you have to do is ASK for them at the post office. According to my friend, Curt, they'll even deliver the boxes and labels to your house, if you ask them to!!

Yeah it really depends on the Location it started from, and where it went through.... I mean I have shipped stuff the USPS, and I usually can get Faster & Cheaper Service with using them..... Generally I do prefer to Ship Priority Mail, but some of the Larger Items they have me ship them with Parcel Post.... Either way I have seldomly had a problem with things sent both ways Parcel Post, usually just wind up with more of a Delay(Upwards of a week or two)..... Also as suggested ask for Insurance and a Tracking number to help!

The Crappest Service that I have ever had with Shipping a Package, is with a Whoops Store, as they gouged me for almost 3x's the Shipping Cost Twice(didn't know it was that much, till the guy I was shipping to let me know.. Did it again a second time, cause it was a Holiday Emergency)! Won't ever stop at one of those Stores Again, but will Happliy drive the Extra Miles to go to a Hub Location(Can usually ship items for Half the price of USPS, but the Hub locations are usually 10-30miles from me, and open only at set times/hours).....

I've had some of my Best Shipping Store expirences at the Local Fred-X Kinko's,Reasonably Priced and Friendly Staff.... Although I think I may have gotten charged more the last time, but after all of the running around I did trying to get the package sent, really didn't mond since the person was friendly enough(She went out of her way to get my package onto the truck that had just arrived, even though my Package hadn't been processed in the back,and was supposed to go out the next morning... She understood how Urgently I need to get my Wife's Glasses and Etc. to her, that she processed my package herself, along with handing it to the driver with Urgent Care & Delivery Orders).....

Sorry to hear how much the guy gouged you for the Cheapest Shipping, I have had that more than enough times since I first got my Ebey Account... The Most irritating was actually a Seller that was Local to me, I won a '62 F-85 for like $15, and he tried to charge me $25 to ship it Parcel Post 5 miles!!! Before I won the car, at the bottom of the Page he stated that he had a Local Hobby Shop(address wasn't listed), and Welcomed Buyers to visit him sometime, so I told him that I wanted to come and pick up the Cutlass, but he refused to let me do so! He went as far as to threaten me with reporting me to Ebay for not paying, and I reminded him that I had offered to pay and pick it like is AD stated..... Wound up paying him $15 plus $5 for Priority, and My Cutty came in a day later, but I think he may have nabbed the motor since he was mad(Don't care, it's a clean little display model, till I find a replacement motor of unknown Origin/Power)..... :(

I guess things happen for a reason but I got nothing but praise for USPS for the 4 years of great service doing model kit trading and I always use tracking too. I use both standard & priority service depending. knock on wood here... :o

My only chief complain is they keep raising the rates and 2 years ago, it cost less than 5 bucks for priority for shipping a kit size box to the west coast and now its over 9 bucks for the same size package. I doubt you will find any service cheaper & better than that unfortunately. UPS always seems to crush the boxes cause of more heavy packages on top. I just send 5 kits parcel in ziplock bags in a little cardboard box to Washington state and the cost was 12 bucks! :o Ouch!

I will mention that sending stuff overseas is expensive and you should really use a heavy duty box really packed tight. If theres any problems based on my experience, its usually the senders fault.

I have actually had 2 guys wrap up the model kit boxes with brown paper and shipped them to me and of course, they arrived all damage duh! :(

Sorry you had a bad experience and hopefully something works out.

~ Jeff

Guest zebm1

I always get estimates from my Local USPO before I ship anything (larger than normal Priority boxes). Checked on a 20x20x20 box - Parcel Post to SC was $4 more expensive than Priority Mail to same address. Also, sometimes I get creative with my box-cutter and shrink the size of the box down.....weight and size of box is tha SCAM yall. USPO will put a SURCHARGE on you if they have to get that measuring tape out. :lol:

Guest Davkin

That's for sure! There are apparently some unpublished size restrictions where you get wacked with a min. weight rate. This really effects shipping models car since model cars weigh a lot less for their size than most items that are shipped. I finally had to limit packages to three regular size models per package to be sure I wouldn't get dinged.

David