Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Camaro Convertible resin up top

That subject has been brought up before, and to date I've never seen one. My solution for that if I ever wanted to build a first gen Camaro convertible would be to completely rework the hardtop to look like a convertible uptop. Lots of work, but sometimes it's the only way to go to get what you want. ;)

OK..........got to remember where I put my flame suit, but those tops for the '62 Chevy's don't appear correct to me at all. For one, the trouble I've always had with AMT was them trying to take the '62 Bel Air hardtop and turn it into a convertible. The problem is, the windshield for that is too tall and in 1:1 the two do not interchange.

A quick and dirty search on the 'net yielded these few pics of how the 1:1 '62 should look with its top up.

ha0413-152279_2@2x.jpg.aa38d636dad1975c54f21fd520fbf2fe.jpg7e47c2fade675c98e07b8233d53ebd57.jpg.92c3575d61774606ead720632800bb3e.jpg9d128180481a2f878b85cbb23604d784.thumb.jpg.808b503a2b4bf88bbdadd080cb9586e5.jpg

OK, I threw a '63 in there..........all the same from '61-'64.

A better candidate for a convertible would have been Revell's '62 Impala.........same (and correct) windshield frame and the same glass. I don't want to come off sounding harsh, but roof shapes including convertible tops are very important to me, and the errors in this one stick out like a sore thumb to me. I'd like to build a '62-'63 Chevy Impala convertible someday--------however those tops just ain't cuttin' it for me. :huh:

Just my 2¢ worth........

On 7/15/2018 at 3:12 PM, Curt said:

Time Machine Resins used to make one for the Revell kit.  I got this one from Jeff in 2013.  I wonder if he still has the master and would consider making more?

IMG_0596.JPG

Do you know the contact info for Time Machine Resins? Are they still around? Contacted T.M. Resins on  eBay and they say they never offered this part.

13 hours ago, socal76 said:

Steven, those tops seem to have a fit issue at the front. At least on the '62 you have turned the right way in your pics. A little harder to tell on the '63 body. What is your opinion since you have a couple?

I don't have any of these tops.

These are ebay shots.

Not sure about the fit on these, but hey.......anybody got a better option for a top for a '62 Impala convertible other than a rare annual piece?

I'm sure that with a little fiddling, it would not be difficult to get these tops to look nice.

If anyone has ever built an old Johan kit with a convertible up top, you will know how many modifications are required to make one of those look right.

I will not hesitate to buy one of these tops if I need one.

I'm considering buying one for an upcoming  '64 Bonneville build, even though I already have a '62 Buick top I'm modifying for it.

Steve

On 7/16/2018 at 6:27 PM, Mike Chernecki said:

Do you know the contact info for Time Machine Resins? Are they still around? Contacted T.M. Resins on  eBay and they say they never offered this part.

That is strange.  I looked at my old emails and I definitely got it from Time Machine Resin.  I guess TM Resins is not the same although I always thought they were.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rico, can I put my order in yet?? As quick as you get them drawn up, I might as well get my order in! Can't wait until you get this drawn up. I am still surprised Revell has not done that and a flat hood or a square screen vented hood, or both hoods. Could all be done on one sprue.

now were talking. I'm following this thread closely, once one goes into production, I'll definitely grab one. thanks guys.

funny, I got an up top on eb from the 68 Camaro. figured it would be a starting point, aka better than nothing, but looking at it its just not right.

1 hour ago, mchalal said:

now were talking. I'm following this thread closely, once one goes into production, I'll definitely grab one. thanks guys.

funny, I got an up top on eb from the 68 Camaro. figured it would be a starting point, aka better than nothing, but looking at it its just not right.

What you got was a 'hardtop' with a vinyl texture on it if it's the same one I'm thinking of. Hardly an uptop at all as it's too blocky and doesn't have the droops and sags that a convertible top should have. That's one of my pet peeves with the model maker's versions of a lot of convertible tops I see. They're too 'straight', and don't have the proper look especially when I'm looking at the model from a front ¾ view.

It's all in one's perspective I guess, but that's one of the first things I notice when looking at a model's uptop------it's appearance compared to the 1:1.

Edited by MrObsessive

Sorry guys,

hadn´t any time last weekend. Because of your feedback I will finish this one. If it´s done I will do a testprint for checking how it fits.

Once the dimensions are correct I will offer the uptop at my shapeways shop so anybody who want´s can order it.

Thank you all for your confidence.

Rico

• 1 month later...