Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Skyline 2000-GTR

SelineManson

Another day another Skyline :lol:
This time I'm going old skool! I love all the extras this kit comes with! I've never worked with anything photo etched before so I'm very excited to start putting everything together! Not sure i'll paint the little man up, but we'll see.
Thinking of going with black and red two-tone on this one.

The kit:
30605333928_31b55cf850_c.jpg

30605332818_e4169f2faa_c.jpg

44425304622_2340f0e5ea_c.jpg

As usual work starts with finding and removing all the mold seams:
30605330618_f98a46886c_c.jpg

29537069317_842fa65e6a_c.jpg

29537068317_6d58f416e5_c.jpg

That's all for now! :)

3 hours ago, Italianhorses said:

What is "guide coat"?

You spray a light misty coat of black over your primer, and then wet sand it down until all the black is gone. The idea is that the black will get trapped inside tiny scratches and imperfections that you might miss by eye, so they'll stick out and you can see them more easily so that you can fix any imperfections before you spray your colour coats instead of  spotting something after when it's too late.

It's a trick most body shops use before they spray cars or repairs, I do it all the time. Doesn't really scale down so well but it still has the intended effect. :)

8 minutes ago, SelineManson said:

You spray a light misty coat of black over your primer, and then wet sand it down until all the black is gone. The idea is that the black will get trapped inside tiny scratches and imperfections that you might miss by eye, so they'll stick out and you can see them more easily so that you can fix any imperfections before you spray your colour coats instead of  spotting something after when it's too late.

It's a trick most body shops use before they spray cars or repairs, I do it all the time. Doesn't really scale down so well but it still has the intended effect. :)

I spray a couple coats of silver on as a "guide coat". Every little imperfection shows up immediately. ;) 

1 hour ago, Italianhorses said:

I see. Technically, this is what grey primer supposed to do. I honestly never had problems this, but maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks.

I find this most useful with bodywork where waviness and high/low points may not be obvious even after primer coat.

Paint and lacquer time!
I'm not 100% sold on the shade of red, but theres not much I can do about it now. I tried to darken it with some candy in the lacquer, but it all went wrong and I had to strip and repaint it all over again. Not happy about that, just a waste of time and resources so I wont go into it now, but I've got it back to the way it was so I'm sticking with it. 
Hopefully the shade will grow on me the more I complete it.

44556750891_a369aa849b_b.jpg
44516377941_7001d7999b_b.jpg

The red looks better in lacquer:
44556747881_78e4230e39_b.jpg
44507100272_14dfee4c39_b.jpg

Obviously this is not the final finish as i'll be wet sanding it down and buffing it next, but the shade is growing on me so hopefully it'll all tie itself together once its finished.

37 minutes ago, Italianhorses said:

I think the color is a bit light, agree, but overall I think it suits it, give the car is a bit older.

True, also it will look different once it's tied together with all the other bits, which are going to be black so hopefully it will all work out in the end. And yeah you're right, having a solid no thrills colour like this definitely suits the antiquity of the car.