Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

49-50 Mercury exterior trim differences

I'm working on a pair of AMT Mercurys; one will be a '49 (two-tone dark blue over turquoise) and the other a '50 (solid maroon). For the '50 I have a Modelhaus grill and a set of F&F wheel covers and fender skirts. The problem is the trim on the hood and trunk; it's quite different from '49 to '50 and I need to figure out a workable solution so that I don't have a '50 with an obviously-'49 hood and trunk handle. Any ideas about how to reproduce the '50 trim?

Beins as I used to own a 50 , ill get back to you as soon as I can. I do know theres a difference wityh the back window and the door handels. See, the 50 had push buttons and the 49 was a pulll handle Have you checked out Collectable Automobile Magazine? They did a very nice article in the volume # 3- number 6 or August 1987 issue . Ed shaver

Beins as I used to own a 50 , ill get back to you as soon as I can. I do know theres a difference wityh the back window and the door handels. See, the 50 had push buttons and the 49 was a pulll handle Have you checked out Collectable Automobile Magazine? They did a very nice article in the volume # 3- number 6 or August 1987 issue . Ed shaver

Thanks--I'll see if I can check out that magazine.

There seem to be very few good pix of factory stock '50 Mercs on-line; I managed to find a couple that were clear enough to make some guesses; the rear window on the '50 had no braces like on the 49; on the hood for '50 the MERCURY script was replaced with an emblem (similar in shape to the trunk handle on the '49) and a chrome strip along the front edge. The '50 trunk handle looks like a round medallion as far as I can tell.

The molded-in door handles on the AMT kit look like push-buttons so that's OK for a '50 (for the '49 I'll shave them off and replace with a pair from the Monogram '50 Ford pickup).

My main concern is how to reproduce the '50 trim, or at least get some kind of close approximation.

Thanks again!