Model Cars Magazine Forum

Carbon fiber decals....help!!

If  I was a bettin' man, I'd wager there's a member (or two) here that might have some suggestions and tips on how to get these decals laid on nicely....

I don't generally find applying decals much of a problem, but man o man, these carbon fiber sheets are a whole other story! I've tried softeners, setting solutions, heat gun....no matter how I go about it they always end up looking, well, terrible! Anyone know of a link or can hopefully give me a few tips or ideas on this? Seems like most of the builds I have coming up have it on there somewhere, some of 'em almost everywhere so could sure use some help on the matter~**~

Thank you in advance!

Helps to know what brand, and type you are using.  I had a disaster with Scale Motorsport, copper color, Solvaset stained it, was literally breaking over curves.  Got so desperate that I attempted to fake it by doing a crazy paint scheme, and then the masking peeled off the decal, so brake fluid came to the rescue.  Just to give an example.

IMG_3544_Fotor.jpg

Thanks for the replies! I've definitely struggled with the Scale Motorsport decals....staining, breaking, etc. plus I can never get them to conform nicely even on slight bends and curves- crappy results every time. The last go-around I laid them over a Tamiya gray primer coat, then a semi gloss black acrylic hoping that would help them "stick" better.....to no avail. And they always look much too bright, even after a shot or two of dullkote. I purchased several different patterns/color combos from a couple different decal guys on the BNA models site, but haven't tried them yet. Wanna get a better handle on this whole process before I muck them up too!

The ones I'm working with now are Tamiya from the Enzo build I'm into, and they're the ones you cut out from a pattern on the backside- that you can barely make out I might add. They look a little better but not much. Even though I'm using these teeny tiny (microscopic size) scissors my wife uses for cross stitching I can't get them cut cleanly enough I guess is one problem, they tend to look ragged around the edges. Yikes! There has GOT to be a way to get these things to work. The videos I've seen make it look so easy, but yours truly doesn't seem to find it anything other than frustrating!

So what am I doing wrong???

You know what helps too? Using a hair dryer. I learned that from the Scale Motorsports instruction sheet. It, too helps soften the decal. Just use it a minute or so at a time, work the decal, then use it again as needed until you finally have the CF decal laid down right.

I really do appreciate the replies. It's beginning to dawn on me that I haven't been exercising enough patience on this stuff. These on-line videos make it look about as simple as applying a typical decal, but that's obviously not the case. Am I doing the right thing coating the decal with softener before I heat dry it?  I'm not gonna let this mess get the best of me- no sir! Have some time today so I think I'll give it another whirl and go nice and s-l-o-w!

Thanks for your replies~**~

Thanks for the replies! I've definitely struggled with the Scale Motorsport decals....staining, breaking, etc. plus I can never get them to conform nicely even on slight bends and curves- crappy results every time. The last go-around I laid them over a Tamiya gray primer coat, then a semi gloss black acrylic hoping that would help them "stick" better.....to no avail. And they always look much too bright, even after a shot or two of dullkote. I purchased several different patterns/color combos from a couple different decal guys on the BNA models site, but haven't tried them yet. Wanna get a better handle on this whole process before I muck them up too!

The ones I'm working with now are Tamiya from the Enzo build I'm into, and they're the ones you cut out from a pattern on the backside- that you can barely make out I might add. They look a little better but not much. Even though I'm using these teeny tiny (microscopic size) scissors my wife uses for cross stitching I can't get them cut cleanly enough I guess is one problem, they tend to look ragged around the edges. Yikes! There has GOT to be a way to get these things to work. The videos I've seen make it look so easy, but yours truly doesn't seem to find it anything other than frustrating!

So what am I doing wrong???

You may have some of the older sheets that had a cracking problem. Post apicture of the packages they came in. I can tell if their old or new.Maybe should try the ones from Studio 27 all their decals are great.

The old  then the new

indezxZx.jpg

893e5906ff9a0f6f97eee96df3942b51.image.759x950.jpg

Edited by 935k3