Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dune Rod

GerN

This was supposed to be a quick and easy build, just some hacking and gluing to a cheap built-up.  I can't believe how slow I am.  This isn't quite finished, but it may never get any better, so here it is.  It is supposed to represent a stripped-down rod intended for fun on the dunes.  I didn't have the 1:1 photo (sitting outside a parts junkyard) until after I'd already cut up the body, or I would have been tempted to copy that car, in spite of the additional work.  The built-up was missing some parts (shocks, hoses, tie rod, steering linkage, etc.) but I only plan to add the highly visible hoses in the interest of a quick build.  I am curious to see how many viewers applaud the originality and how many deplore the desecration.  Enjoy!

view 1.jpg

view 2.jpg

view 3.jpg

view 4.jpg

Just remembered:  The tail lights are cast from white CR-300 (as are the tires, wheels and radiator), coated with a Molotov chrome pen and then detailed with clear red paint.  BTW, I brush-painted almost everything (except the chassis and interior, sprayed flat black by the original builder).  There are a few things I would now do differently, including:  raise the body-stiffening bar behind the headrests to also serve as a roll bar; fill the mufflers before gluing them in.