Model Cars Magazine Forum

UPDATE 11/8/08 Freightliner FLD Heavy Duty Tractor WIP

9-7-08

Guy's....

Well November came early...couldn't keep away from the plastic. I started surgery Friday evening..and here is where I am at...

The front grill...the vertical bars where cut and filed down where they meet the horizontal bars..some nice straight lines..and the headlight buckets were redone..and set back in to reflect a newer FLD model...1998-1999 year

Like always..I have this mental picture in the back on my mind..and so far..not to bad...got a long way to go... A few questions that imput from you guys would be greatly appreciated....

Engine....Fully detailed CAT 3406E, or Detroit Series 60??

Either a heavy duty truck tractor, or a tandem or triaxle with a Beau-Roc dump body either steel or aluminum...

I posted some pictures that I am aiming for....Thanks, Kurt McLucas

DSC00656.jpg

DSC00654.jpg

DSC00653.jpg

freightliner-trucks-classic-pg2.jpg

freightliner-trucks-fldsd-pg8.jpg

Edited by Turbo590

Hi Kurt,

You have an interesting project started. Your progress so far looks good. That FLD SD would look good as a tractor or dumptruck. If your asking for input, how about a tractor with a frameless or frametype East end dump trailer? I've always thought of building some sort of end dump trailer, lots of scratchbuild though to say the least. What do you think?

I'd put a DD S60 in it since you've already built the Pete with a Cat. Just my input. Thanks for sharing Kurt.

Doug

What's goin' on...

Something I just thought of. Seeing how Frieghtliner and Detroit Diesel were bought out by Dymler Benz You could use the Detroit. Some of the later Freightliners are equipped w/ a Merceades heavy diesel. I'm not sure if any of the Italeri Euro truck kits have that model engine or not. Basically you probably know this but a truck can be order w/ any power train combination to customers spec. I still think you should build this as a day cab like that you pictured!

Edited by Semi Trailer Mechanic

I did know and that the tractor was a "Classic" when I choose the picture...I did decide to do the tractor..But I will step it up a little to really make it heavy duty...front floats, wetline kit etc. For the paint..not sure on that at the moment..I was able to get the paint chip book from a local dealer....

I wanted to do the hood first..since that would be the difficult piece..red glazing/spot putty is really making it all come together now. The Detroit Series 60 fits the so-called era..so I robbed one from the new-re-released Pete 378 kit (Tim)...

I'll put my spin on the detailing of it.

Started custom making the air breathers as well...

Thank you to everyone for the great comments and feedback...I'll keep you guys posted....Happy building...

Kurt McLucas

• 1 month later...

11/9/08

Well guys...other than the engine and the headache rack...the truck has been worked on a little here and there...wanted to posted some updated pictures and status..

Ordered a bunch of aluminum and photo-etched parts from KFS...my good friend Jamie (Mo'Luminum)supplied tires and rims, and specially turned aluminum breathers..the 5th wheel from KFS actually locks and slides with the pull of the lever..Doors were cut out and I'll be using the newly released Detail Master large hinges for big trucks (photo etched) it looks like (on order) fully detailed inside of the cab.

Custom parts are being fabricated..tool box just finished..I am going to add a step tool box as well..plus an aluminum hydraulic tank. Color was decided on Viper Blue from Freightliner..a few more months and "she'll" be done..I hope.

Eventually a coal dump trailer will be fabricated for it, leaning towards to a J&J..since there are located near..I can arrange for a tour and visit of the plant...

Thanks...Kurt

Happy Holidays to all....

DSC00965.jpg

DSC00962.jpg

DSC00960.jpg

DSC00959.jpg