Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Oh! Not ANOTHER 49 Merc!

FactoryStock54

I've loved the AMT 49 Merc kit since I first built it back in the early 70s; since then I've probably built 8 or 9 of them (always getting better but never quite reaching the level I wanted). These two builds are my tribute to this amazing kit and mark the last time (probably) I will build it.

The factory stock 49 is done up in a custom two-tone scheme that I thought would really enhance the lines of the car. The top and trunk are Tamiya TS 55 Dark Blue straight from the rattle can (actually should be called "Midnight Blue"--it's way darker than I would have liked); the main body color is a custom turquoise mixed from 5 parts Tamiya TS 23 Light Blue to 2 parts TS 2 Dark Green, decanted from their respective rattle cans and shot through my Badger 360 at 20 PSI (I figured out that one should try to approximate spray can pressures to effectively airbrush this paint). Mercury badge and logo on the hood were foiled after priming and uncovered once the final coat of turquoise was applied--didn't work completely so I ended up highlighting the lettering with Citadel Mithril Silver.

49Mercury01.jpg

49Mercury04.jpg

49Mercury05.jpg

I had several complete sub-assemblies from previous attempts at this kit including a very nice interior (two tone blue-ish grays, don't remember which Polly Scale colors I used) The interior has separate door handles and window cranks, photo etch foot pedals and ash trays and MCG instrument bezels. The flat-head V-8 had a pre-wired Preston's Car Parts distributor. I touched up the paint job and added heater hoses. The chasis/underframe was from my first adult attempt at this kit some 15 years ago (the front suspension was still intact except for the tie-rods) I spruced it up, put on a new rear end/differential, replaced the old exhaust system with a well-painted new one, and touched up the gas tank. Wide white sidewalls are from the Revell 40 Ford Standard Coupe and the beautiful stock wheel covers come with the AMT kit.

49Mercury02.jpg

49Mercury06.jpg

The companion piece to the 49 is a factory stock 50 with Modelhaus grill and tires and F&F 50 wheelcovers. This one was done up in Tamiya TS Maroon with a charcoal interior (Polly Scale Engine Black). I hand-brushed a couple coats of Future on both cars; when the Future was solidly cured I rubbed down with Novus #2. Precise foiling was achieved with a surgical scalpel.

49-50Mercury02.jpg

49-50Mercury03.jpg

50Mercury4.jpg

Hope you like these.

Hey, thanks guys! Glad you like 'em!

For sheer style and purity of line you just can't beat the 49-51 Mercs! No wonder these cars caught the early customizers' eyes. I wanted to do something a little off the beaten path; most factory stock models of the 49 are done up in gloss black--which, if done right, is absolutely gorgeous--heck! it's virtually impossible to do a color scheme that doesn't work!--but I thought a 2-tone scheme (more typical of contemporary Hudsons) would really bring out the lines on this car. Finding "just the right color scheme" for a car is, for me, one of the most rewarding aspects of period factory stock modeling.

Now. . .on to my '63 Avanti in metallic green!