Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1925 Ford T -- Chopped Top

Casey

1 minute ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Any word if it will have any of the stock parts or the roadster body from the Double T kit?

I highly doubt it. The "chopped top" wording seems intentionally specific to me, indication only one building option. It's essentially the custom/chopped coupe body version from the AMT 1925 Ford Double T kit, and considering Round2 reissued the Double T kit in 2008, I can't blame them for essentially splitting the Double T kit in two, and offering each separately now.

6 hours ago, Casey said:

I highly doubt it. The "chopped top" wording seems intentionally specific to me, indication only one building option. It's essentially the custom/chopped coupe body version from the AMT 1925 Ford Double T kit, and considering Round2 reissued the Double T kit in 2008, I can't blame them for essentially splitting the Double T kit in two, and offering each separately now.

I hope you are wrong, but if yiu aren't, i have plenty of extra roadster bodies. I just hope it has the Moon disks. 

FB_IMG_1566002932143.jpg

Funny story!  I bought this kit, the Double Dragster and the Tony Nancy two car kit all at the same time.   I stayed up almost all night so excited because there must be a thousand ways to build from those three boxes!   It must've been very exciting to be a kid in that era!

On 8/16/2019 at 12:40 PM, Casey said:

Coming in autumn 2019:

AMT11671925FordTChop.thumb.jpg.9d9148ab067508123143cfef502f1abc.jpg

I knew that art looked familiar. Retouched version of the 1964 issue Tall T side panel art. My photo is not quite straight on, so it looks a little off, but if you have one on hand, you can see. Chopped, different wheels and removed the Moon tank. Clever. Also clever is the homage to John Mueller on the door.

20190816_214623.jpg

Edited by Dave Darby
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alexis said:

Pad Printed Tires, Steelies, & New Decals. I'll get one, at least. You can never have enough Model T Ford Kits.

On that, I agree, which why I'll be snapping up the roadster when it hits the shelves, enough though it will probably be in the neighbourhood of $45 Canadian when it arrives.  On the other hand, I still have that chopped coupe body from the last Double T reissue that I haven't decided what to do with.  As kitbashing material,  the suspension pieces are pretty horrible, and the "Lincoln" engine doesn't really look like anything that ever graced the engine bay of any Ford Motor Company product.  Steelies?  If you're like me, you probably already have a pile of those, and most of them are better looking than what came with the Double T.  Pad printed tires?  AMT will sell me a pack without the rest for about half of what their kits go for.  Decals aren't a deal breaker for me, but neither are they a selling point, and neither is the new box art.  The chassis is a nice start for a hot rod, and I always seem to be scrounging headlights and supports for fenderless rods, and not enough kits offer cycle fenders., but is that worth what Round 2 is charging for kits, especially since I can probably scratch up the desired parts, or just wait a few months for Revell's very nice Model A to return.

8 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

On that, I agree, which why I'll be snapping up the roadster when it hits the shelves, enough though it will probably be in the neighbourhood of $45 Canadian when it arrives.  On the other hand, I still have that chopped coupe body from the last Double T reissue that I haven't decided what to do with.  As kitbashing material,  the suspension pieces are pretty horrible, and the "Lincoln" engine doesn't really look like anything that ever graced the engine bay of any Ford Motor Company product.  Steelies?  If you're like me, you probably already have a pile of those, and most of them are better looking than what came with the Double T.  Pad printed tires?  AMT will sell me a pack without the rest for about half of what their kits go for.  Decals aren't a deal breaker for me, but neither are they a selling point, and neither is the new box art.  The chassis is a nice start for a hot rod, and I always seem to be scrounging headlights and supports for fenderless rods, and not enough kits offer cycle fenders., but is that worth what Round 2 is charging for kits, especially since I can probably scratch up the desired parts, or just wait a few months for Revell's very nice Model A to return.

What's wrong with the suspension? You get a nicely done V8-60 tubular front axle for the front and a Halibrand quick change for the rear. While I agree that Lincoln is niether fish nor fowl it has has some great parts,  including the Latham blower. The steelies are chrome, so those are always welcome. (I'm using 40 Ford wheels on the build in thr photo.) It's been 9 years since the last issue, so I will definitely be picking up at least one. 

20170617_172623-vi.jpg

The front end suspension looks 100% better if you omit the metal through-axle and glue stub axles to the ends. I actually found that if you use the kit front wheel backs/brakes, they're a good press-fit onto the axle ends and no axles of any kind are needed at all. 

I'm trying hard to like this T coupe body and just not achieving much success. I'm thinking of whacking off the turtledeck, scratchbuilding the lower part of the body like a period truck cab, and then using that with a shortened "Fad T" type pickup bed. How might that look? :unsure:

AMT released "roadster-only" versions of the '25 T several times. One was in the AMT/ERTL "Buyer's Choice" program back in the 1990s.  But AFAIK, this is the first time they've released a chopped coupe only '25 kit. I may be wrong about that. AMT released this kit in a LOT of different ways thru the years.

Seeing the original '25 T double kit come back in 2008 was a shock, and a good one.  Even better, it was followed by the "Fruit Wagon" and "Tall T" unchopped coupe, all double kits with stock and rodded versions.  The "Fruit Wagon" had some hot rod parts that weren't in the original '25 T, like a neat "beer keg" fuel tank.

I grabbed all those kits when they came out, so I'll pass on this one.  Saving my money for the "new" '23 roadster. I've never had that kit and am looking forward to it. 

4 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

What's wrong with the suspension?

No brake detail, and a big metal axle a big metal rod running right through it?  Compared to the Revel offerings, I think horrible is a pretty good description.   For all the time people have spent complaining about miniscule differences in body contours, if find it hard to believe that this doesn't leap out at people just the tiniest little bit.    I don't think I'm being that picky, especially considering what Round 2 will be charging for that kit.

But if you really can't see that, hey, go nuts.

3 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

No brake detail, and a big metal axle a big metal rod running right through it?  Compared to the Revel offerings, I think horrible is a pretty good description.   For all the time people have spent complaining about miniscule differences in body contours, if find it hard to believe that this doesn't leap out at people just the tiniest little bit.    

That's typical, though for an AMT tool from the early 60s..can't expect it to be like more modern Revell tooling.   This thing is pretty ancient. 

18 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

That's typical, though for an AMT tool from the early 60s..can't expect it to be like more modern Revell tooling.   This thing is pretty ancient. 

I think everyone here is well aware that the original kit is coming up on its 60th birthday., but the issues are still there, and if you're looking for kitbashing material, there are better options.

On 8/16/2019 at 7:49 PM, Dave Darby said:

I hope you are wrong, but if yiu aren't, i have plenty of extra roadster bodies. I just hope it has the Moon disks. 

Dave, correct me if I'm wrong. But aren't the stock and hot rod parts thoroughly intermingled on the parts trees? If so, wouldn't eliminating the stock parts be rather labor intensive?

34 minutes ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Dave, correct me if I'm wrong. But aren't the stock and hot rod parts thoroughly intermingled on the parts trees? If so, wouldn't eliminating the stock parts be rather labor intensive?

I think Casey meant the roadster body might not be included. Kind of like the Ertl versions that didn't include the coupe body. Or the Street Rods issue with the Tall T coupe body and no roadster body. Everything else was there. The Moon discs are kn a separate tree. I guess we'll see in a month or so...

On 8/19/2019 at 11:44 AM, Richard Bartrop said:

No brake detail, and a big metal axle a big metal rod running right through it?  Compared to the Revel offerings, I think horrible is a pretty good description.   For all the time people have spent complaining about miniscule differences in body contours, if find it hard to believe that this doesn't leap out at people just the tiniest little bit.    I don't think I'm being that picky, especially considering what Round 2 will be charging for that kit.

But if you really can't see that, hey, go nuts.

Except for the Monogram T bucket, (which also lacks brake drum detail unless you can afford a Little T or SweeTee) it's the only game in town if you want the classic V8-60 style tubular front axle. And to me, nothing looks better on the front of a T bucket. Revell's front axles dont look all that old school to me.  They are best hidden under fenders. The older Monogram Deuce axles are much better in that regard for anything other than a T bucket. Anyway, different strokes for different folks, but no need to slam a classic. 

FB_IMG_1566311641015.jpg

Edited by Dave Darby
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dave Darby said:

Except for the Monogram T bucket, (which also lacks brake drum detail unless you can afford a Little T or SweeTee) it's the only game in town if you want the classic V8-60 style tubular front axle....

I was just about to mention the V8-60 axle, but you beat me to it. It's not all that difficult to modify into something really scale-correct, eliminating the steel axle, fabbing up working spindles, and putting early juice-brake backing plates or later discs on them.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I was just about to mention the V8-60 axle, but you beat me to it. It's not all that difficult to modify into something really scale-correct, eliminating the steel axle, fabbing up working spindles, and putting early juice-brake backing plates or later discs on them.

True, but at that point,  you might as well just bend a piece of Evergreen for the axle.

My first computer was a Commodore 64.  At the time, it was probably the best home computer you could get for the money,   but nobody in his right mind would suggest that it is still the best computer ever, or that you should try watching Netflix on it.

Yes the old kits have their appeal, but let's not pretend that they don't have their shortcomings.

3 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

True, but at that point,  you might as well just bend a piece of Evergreen for the axle.

My first computer was a Commodore 64.  At the time, it was probably the best home computer you could get for the money,   but nobody in his right mind would suggest that it is still the best computer ever, or that you should try watching Netflix on it.

Yes the old kits have their appeal, but let's not pretend that they don't have their shortcomings.

But if you want a Commodore 64 it's the only game in town!

But seriously, I just dont see the need to bash reissues of old kits.

And true you can spend all your free time and energy plus money scratch building an axle, but you still need the T bucket to put it on. 

In case you hadn't noticed, this is the car kit news and reviews section, so I gave a review.  I outlined what I thought was useful to me, and what wasn't, based on my experiences with its previous incarnation.  People are free to accept or reject those views as they see fit, and it you want to keep pretending this is the bit kit ever, go right ahead, but don't expect me to change my opinion.

I, for one, like these old T kits and will most likely buy a couple with my Hobby Lobby 40% coupons. All 3 of the variations released over the last 8-9 years have been creeping up in price on the second hand market so being able to grab some for about $20 out the door is good with me. 

I’m digging the new box art. ?