Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Buick Invicta Convertible

Keesee17

This has been a very long term build that was finally finished on 8-30-2019. I got the car years ago as a stripped kit that had never had any fender skirts or other custom parts applied. The car had a great windshield header and the car had freshly redone chrome... I used a modified ‘63-‘64 Chevy uptop and a set of the new AMT Firestone Champion Deluxe tires. Otherwise, the kit is 100% box stock.

19DAB083-56F6-4DC2-A063-85A8D87194B6.jpeg

C2836904-A0E3-41FF-894A-DD8FFC8D08D0.jpeg

0C27687B-01F8-492F-825D-64B18B223034.jpeg

BB384D0A-DA15-408D-828B-4F1A18CA56DE.jpeg

4D21549E-1A49-4064-A16E-97FA0A446F23.jpeg

Edited by Keesee17

Nice Invicta! The uptop is a nice touch as personally I hate building convertibles without 'em. ;)

4 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi!

Nice built. You are lucky: I would do unspeakable things to get one of those Invicta AMT kit... Hard to come by, alas!

CT

Keep an eye on the 'Bay......I got a VERY clean restorable '61 Bubbletop off of there for less than $50. It didn't have its original wheels which I was able to find later on, but even those I paid less than 10 bucks for 'em.

Deals can be found, it's just being in the right place at the right time.

Thanks for all the kind words guys... These old cars are out there. Much like Mr. Obsessive, I prefer to build convertibles with the uptop. it give them so much more character. I’ve got about 10 other builds currently in the works with uptops and I’m planning some unique color combinations...

14 hours ago, David G. said:

Excellent restoration, beautiful color choice.

I've built a couple of convertibles and I have left the tops unglued so I can switch from up-top to down when the mood strikes me... just like in real life! :D

David G.

That's how I like to do the convertible kits, too. I wish all convertible kits included uptops!