Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scout II, Dun alotta Scoutin'

Were the tops metal? I thought they were fiberglass?

9 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

Reminds me of the one I drove while stationed at Shemya, AK, except ours was a four-door IH and the top had rusted through along the drip rail.  Very nice weathering, looks to be rode hard and put away wet.

Ours was not a Scout but a 4-door CarryAll or whatever they were called.  We rescued it from the junkyard.  Mechanically it was in pretty good shape, it needed a few minutes in the motor pool, the floor had large holes in it, the fenders were perforated and the top was rusted almost the full length along the passenger side drip rail.  But I worked in the welding/sheetmetal shop, so we spent a lot of time patching and backyard engineering it to run.

1 hour ago, Dentz said:

Were the tops metal? I thought they were fiberglass?

Tops were metal, rusting out was a common problem for the body and top on these trucks. Most vehicles from the mid 70's seemed to be plagued with the problem.

Nice job on this build, excellent weathering !

Beautiful Scout, er, maybe not beautiful, but incredible rust and weathering detail (I really hate to see any Scout all rusty, lol). The rust holes are at all the right places. My real one is ate up in the wheel wells and under the gas filler just like your model. Nice attention to detail. Glad to see more Scouts, keep 'em coming.

Jeff 

• 8 months later...