Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Will we ever see the Monogram S-10 again?


Recommended Posts

This is a great kit, IMO.

I know that the (very similar and equally great) Syclone kit was re-issued around 2010 or so. Am I correct that the S-10 has been dormant since the lowrider 3 'n 1 version, 20 years ago?

Think we will ever see it re-issued? The AMT Sonoma re-issue made me think that now would be a welcome time for it.

MONO-2434-2.jpg

MONO-2434-5.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Jim H. said:

This is a great kit, IMO.

Agreed. One of the best from soon after Revell and Monogram were united. Some pics of the original issue here: http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/25/25-monogram-93-chevy-pickup

55 minutes ago, Jim H. said:

 Am I correct that the S-10 has been dormant since the lowrider 3 'n 1 version, 20 years ago?

Yes, that was the last reissue. They have been pricey on the secondary market for years, and the lowrider and original issue version pictured are the only versions which feature a stock build option-- the Waverider issue cannot be built stock.

57 minutes ago, Jim H. said:

Think we will ever see it re-issued? 

Yes, eventually. It took 26(?) years or so for the 1/24 Monogram Chevy Stepside 4x4 kit to be reissued, so I hold out some hope for the '93 S-10.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've wondered this for years. I really hope it comes back soon because the prices are crazy. I built the syclone, wave rider as a pro touring ls swap, and one of the stock ones as a s15 sonoma 4x4. I have 2 more to build and a bunch of syclone kits lol 

Anytime I post some pics on instagram I get bombarded with messages about selling the ones I have. So I believe the demand is there.

Edited by Jared Roach
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Casey said:

the lowrider and original issue version pictured are the only versions which feature a stock build option--

I swear I have seen one on ebay was from 1995 or 96, maybe? Boxart had the blue monogram banner, like the waverider, but the red stock s-10 with a diorama-type background. I cant seem to find a picture anywhere. Probably the same parts as the original issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Would be neat if they would add parts to this tool, so one can build a Baja version or backdate it to a pre-facelift model.

Yes, it would be, but much like the Revell Cadillac lowrider, there's so much pent up demand for this kit, it would have no trouble selling as is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

The old wive's tale rumors about the S-10 have always circulated around whether or not the S-10 specific inserts still exist.  The overall kit itself does because the Syclone has been reissued well after the original runs of both kits in the 90s.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know, Mike. Those Square Body S-10's were like Roaches here in Cali. They were EVERYWHERE!  I still see a few, even now. I'd be thrilled to have the Monogram kit back.

I'll start looking on eBay for one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one 1:1 scale '92 S10 (had it as a daily driver for four years, but now haven't driven it since July when I bought a '74 Malibu STW as my daily driver). Really good and reliable car and fun to drive too. I also have two of these model kits, both are unstarted original issues that I found for around $20 each. The other one will be built as a replica of my car. The other one will be something else...

That being said, I'd be very happy to see this kit being reissued. I'd buy at least one for sure, possibly more as time goes on and I'm able to actually build the two I already have. I think these would sell pretty well, the real cars seem to be pretty popular nowadays.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 8:30 PM, niteowl7710 said:

The old wive's tale rumors about the S-10 have always circulated around whether or not the S-10 specific inserts still exist.  The overall kit itself does because the Syclone has been reissued well after the original runs of both kits in the 90s.

Looking at the timelines on Scalemates, one would think that they still have the S10 inserts since every version of the S10 was released after the initial Syclone kit was sold. When did they start using the Revell-Monogram logo on the boxes though? I'm confused why the Syclone is a Revell box and the S10 is a Monogram box (until the 3n1, where it became Revell), and they both came out after the two companies merged.

 

I really think they should combine the two kits and sell it with both Chevy and GMC parts. That way you could make a stock S10, stock Sonoma (both 2WD or 4WD), stock Syclone, stock Sonoma GT, and any combination of those. Plus with the optional custom parts, the sky's the limit! Realistically though, that wouldn't happen since they could get more money selling them separately.

Edited by Jordan White
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

However, I really think they should combine the two kits and sell it with both Chevy and GMC parts.

That's not possible considering how the parts are laid out, and based upon which parts are included with the stock '93 S-10 and the GMC Syclone. Many of the Syclone-sepecific parts are attached to separate runners, but not all of them. Some parts for the GMC were substituted for the S-10, so you couldn't set up the mold once and get all the parts needed for both the GMC Syclone and the S-10.

Considering it took 25+ years for Revell to reissue the 1/24 Monogram Chevy Stepside pickup kit, I still have hope for the '93 S-10. Hopefully the optional Waverider parts are what was lost.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Casey said:

That's not possible considering how the parts are laid out, and based upon which parts are included with the stock '93 S-10 and the GMC Syclone. Many of the Syclone-sepecific parts are attached to separate runners, but not all of them. Some parts for the GMC were substituted for the S-10, so you couldn't set up the mold once and get all the parts needed for both the GMC Syclone and the S-10.

Considering it took 25+ years for Revell to reissue the 1/24 Monogram Chevy Stepside pickup kit, I still have hope for the '93 S-10. Hopefully the optional Waverider parts are what was lost.

Nothing wrong with a few duplicate parts! ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/13/2019 at 5:21 PM, Jordan White said:

When did they start using the Revell-Monogram logo on the boxes though? I'm confused why the Syclone is a Revell box and the S10 is a Monogram box (until the 3n1, where it became Revell), and they both came out after the two companies merged.

I believe the kits were released in this order: 

Revell Syclone  - 1992

Monogram S10  -  1993

Monogram Waverider S10 - 1994

In 1995 I believe all 3 versions were re-boxed with slightly updated boxing, but same kit/revell or monogram name. 

Revell Lowrider S10 - 1999

 

As to how Revell/Monogram which company name to use on the boxes, I haven't been able to find a pattern, even now.

I have noticed most (maybe all) kits dated 1998 have both names in the upper left, and this seems to be the only year with that style combined logo. I cant remember ever seeing a specifically monogram kit dated 1998 (or 1999?). Seems like they started splitting up the branding again in the early 2000s

In any case, hopefully it is just a wives tale, and the S10 is intact. I am building one now, but I would still buy 2. I can see it now, in the sleek black Monogram box like the recent Grand National release. Round2 has a '94 sonoma on shelves, the time is now. 

 

revell1998.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd certainly buy another one or two, even though I have a couple in the stash.

My Dad had a 4.3 S10, the square body.  He sold it around 250,000 miles because "it smokes a little bit ..."  The guy who bought drove it for many years after that.  I've seen a variety of engine swaps in these over the years.  Anyway, it's a fun little kit and I hope it comes back.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...