Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 MPC '33 Willys Panel Van - Paddy Wagon

Casey

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

The MPC snap kit. It has a nice stock grille. 

Yeah, but it also has the trimmed front fenders and nonstock side hood bulges of the Ohio George car. I've noticed that very few modelers ever fix those when they build these kits as something else. 

Here's a before and after shot. One I did as a slammer many years ago, alongside a snap bomb (well, it couldn't be a glue bomb, could it?).  A valuable lesson to be learnt here, don't display your models at an open air car show in the Australian summer .....sigh.  It's a nice tight body shell. it has different hood louvers to the AMT kits and the running boards fit pretty nice, not included in the AMTs. I picked up the cheap Paddy Wagon as I figured it would be quicker to prep and paint than try to repair the sunken roof on my first one.  A set of AMT headlights would help it out as well.

Does anyone know the story of how the three MPC snap kits (40 coupe, Willys panel and 50 Merc) got away with being such obvious knock-offs of the AMT kits?  Or did they change just enough to dodge lawsuits?

Cheers

Alan

IMG_0071 (Small).JPG

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, espo said:

Sometimes the box art can put you off when you're looking for a curtain type of body style. 

Agreed! That model has lots of potential; the body looks nice. Should be great kit-bashing fodder.

Wonder what sort of chassis would work under it to make a stock-ish driver? Maybe MPC '32 Chevy, with a Jeep flathead four-banger? At least it has a grille and horizontal ('34) hood louvers that the full-detail kit doesn't have.

ETA: Just went down a Willys rabbit hole on the H.A.M.B. - there's considerable doubt as to whether ANY '33-'34 panels were made - apparently all the existing "early" ones are actually '35-'36s with earlier front end sheetmetal.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

7 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Wonder what sort of chassis would work under it to make a stock-ish driver? Maybe MPC '32 Chevy, with a Jeep flathead four-banger? At least it has a grille and horizontal ('34) hood louvers that the full-detail kit doesn't have.

ETA: Just went down a Willys rabbit hole on the H.A.M.B. - there's considerable doubt as to whether ANY '33-'34 panels were made - apparently all the existing "early" ones are actually '35-'36s with earlier front end sheetmetal.

I grabbed one of the Revell '34 Ford snap kits I had laying around and even an AMT/ERTL '34 Ford glue kit with IFS to will try and use that for some of what I want to do.  The Willys chassis appears to be serviceable, if I want to leave it a curb side, but I may need to rework the parts to see what will work.

• 2 weeks later...