Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 250 GTO

Brizio

The kit has two sheets of photo-etched parts.

IMG_3313.thumb.jpeg.0d27a29b8eb1622fdb8d076cd995b733.jpeg

First thing to build is the chassis. It could be little difficult because the metla part some time are not straigh. Before paint the chassis and the body, I moke them up to check that the fenders are centered with the center of the axles.

IMG_3314.thumb.jpeg.325ea6bd8d763ad627bbdc5aebada683.jpeg

Chassis painter and light weathered. Also added the "motor".

IMG_3317.thumb.jpeg.e80d2b978e4f26e094544c9c493a8424.jpeg

More progress... Speaking of rims... Here all the part for make one rims. The dome shape part on the bottom left, will help to bend the spokes.

IMG_3315.thumb.jpeg.3ae3f917fdfc8cd958a3c17e63c462a9.jpeg

Here the wheels done. I wish the tires had more details and a corrected shape. But over all they looks great!

IMG_3322.thumb.jpeg.1795f7f3c9f93e9fc8165a231ecf722a.jpeg

2 hours ago, wisdonm said:

I wish you could buy those wheels separately and at a reasonable price.

Anything that is low production and involved for manufacturing is going to cost.  Over the years have acquired Herb Deeks set, which is cast metal rims which I don't like, but nice tires; Hobby Design and KA Models have turned aluminum rims which are superior.

I have this kit!  Pulling up a seat to watch your build.  It's too bad there is no engine.

Have one of these also on the shelf so will be interesting to see it built.  HRM does make a resin engine kit, but you have to add some of the underhood detail yourself.  They also have Dunlop racing tires for the 250 GTO - also designed for the Fujimi kit so not sure if they'll fit the Gunze rims.

11 hours ago, cobraman said:

Interesting kit. Any special steps to painting those metal parts ?

No, at least I don't use any special step. Usual stuff, primer and paint.

11 hours ago, wisdonm said:

I wish you could buy those wheels separately and at a reasonable price.

I second that!

9 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I don't think i've ever seen proper wire wheels like this before.

Looking forward to seeing more!

It would be nice if somebody make them in photo etch.

8 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Anything that is low production and involved for manufacturing is going to cost.  Over the years have acquired Herb Deeks set, which is cast metal rims which I don't like, but nice tires; Hobby Design and KA Models have turned aluminum rims which are superior.

I have this kit!  Pulling up a seat to watch your build.  It's too bad there is no engine.

They sold a kit with engine, if I remember correctly. 

4 hours ago, djflyer said:

Have one of these also on the shelf so will be interesting to see it built.  HRM does make a resin engine kit, but you have to add some of the underhood detail yourself.  They also have Dunlop racing tires for the 250 GTO - also designed for the Fujimi kit so not sure if they'll fit the Gunze rims.

I was thinking to order other tires, and look into it more. but a the end I went with out of the box. If I wait for parts I'm afraid I'm going to put it on stand by.

3 hours ago, Funkychiken said:

This is a Holy grail build for me, so I'll be watching along, good progress!I guess you used metal primer on the chassis?

No regular primer. Never had any issue with it. Even when I built the Daytona Coupe, few years ago.

The chassis is pretty much completed. I did a light wash too.

IMG_3317.thumb.jpeg.b6f1ae9a98ecb0a2d4c13a96a751d22e.jpeg

Gas tank painted and washed

IMG_3318.thumb.jpeg.b3edb85ac9f3b15c928624e32d6685d1.jpeg

Chassis all completed with part of the interior

IMG_3321.thumb.jpeg.5507a042f137e6009dc4f2f8529cfdb2.jpeg

Testing the exhaust options. Stock on the top, shorted on the bottom

IMG_3316.thumb.jpeg.86b36381b9b89580a00879efd38876b2.jpeg

The body is ok, the big issue is the rear fender, the wheel opening on the top part is almost flat. When in the real car is round. Sorry for the blurry photo

IMG_3323.thumb.jpeg.55461e6f81cbbce9823018980499e791.jpeg

Corrected the wheel opening on the fender

IMG_3328.thumb.jpeg.fa50d5c27dbe4e705ef5fa871cca83f4.jpeg

Ooooh! One of my favorite Ferraris! I'm DEFINITELY following along! And YAY!!..............you fixed those incorrect rear wheel wells! That's what kept me from buying this kit back when it was new. They always appeared "big" to my view and very good job in getting them correct! ?

Edited by MrObsessive

12 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Ooooh! One of my favorite Ferraris! I'm DEFINITELY following along! And YAY!!..............you fixed those incorrect rear wheel wells! That's what kept me from buying this kit back when it was new. They always appeared "big" to my view and very good job in getting them correct! ?

Is one of my favorite Ferrari too! I was thinking to build with stock fender, but I couldn't stand it... I retouch the front one too, but little bit only.

2 hours ago, kelson said:

Nice display of skills putting this kit together!,hopefully you won't be painting it red:D

There is no other color but red! :)

1 hour ago, Sam I Am said:

Great work Brizio!  

You still have your Vespa?  

Yes! This is Freddy riding it last Halloween

FREDDY.jpeg.94e4d06491aa43822af4879fd6a4877e.jpeg

6 minutes ago, mrm said:

Very nice so far. Why did you close one of the vents?

Some originals have two, others have three. It depends which car your kit is meant to be a model of... They were all hand-built, so there's quite a lot of variation between individual cars, for example in the rear wheel arches...

best,

M.

Edited by Matt Bacon

3 minutes ago, Brizio said:

The one I'm building has only two

I guess I formulated my question wrong. That’s what I meant. Which car are you building? The most famous of them all (The red ones) - the 22 car, has three.