Model Cars Magazine Forum

New From Round2/AMT 2020

stavanzer

1 hour ago, the other Mike S. said:

I don't know why I should feel guilty using my 40% coupon at HL.  R2 and Revell are still making a profit even at those prices.  After all, they moved their operations over to China to reduce costs.  While I can appreciate the thicker cardboard boxes (thanks R2), molded in white plastic bodies and the beautiful pad printed tires, I do have a general price limit for a current 1/25th scale model kit. 

Like what was mentioned above, I typically buy what I like when the reissues come out.  At current prices, I can buy 2 (or even 3 at coupon prices) of my favorite subjects.  However, when they eventually get to $50 a kit, that will definitely curtail my purchases.  At that price, it will have to be something I really, really want.

The promo market suffered from the same price escalation.  Back when they were $20 or less, I used to buy multiple copies of each color.  When they started approaching the $30+ barrier, I restricted my choices down to one color each (or even just my favorite color) on the latest ones that retailed for $35+.

I'd hate to see model kit building become a rich man's hobby.  Right now, I can't afford the real 1:1 scale cars so I buy the models of my favorite automobiles.  If and when the time ever comes that the average model kit becomes too expensive, it will be time to find another hobby I guess.   

Your wright you shouldn't feel guilty about using a 40% off coupon. at HL. Look at what their list price is on a kit that can be purchased for $20 to $25 at a local stand alone hobby shop. The local HL's around here at asking $30 to $39 for the same kit. That makes that 40 % off coupon the same as a $2 or $3 savings of buying from the normal hobby shops. I still do it if they have something that I really want and it is still listed for the older pricing of around $25 list price, then it makes sense to me. Otherwise for the little difference I'll buy from my local hobby shop, or pretty soon they'll go away. 

The model companies are aware that higher prices impact sales. However volumes and costs dictate what the prices are. Just the nature of the beast. The loss of high volume retailers like Walmart have hurt the market. Walmart wants to fill the shelves with high margin items. Models take up a fair amount of shelve space however the same space can be allocated for something like cell phone accessories and they can make a lot more money.

46 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

When AMT originally went outside the USA to Mexico, quality suffered.  Molding was poor, wrong parts in boxes etc.  Then they moved manufacturing to China and things improved drastically even over the USA produced models.   Sprues individually in clear plastic bags, even things like convertible windshields reinforced with cardboard and taped to protect them.  Definitely a lot more labor involved, at lower wages.  

Still prices have crept up.  But can you imagine what the prices would be if production was still in the USA?

They would be more expensive no doubt.  However, knowing that they were still made in the good ole U.S. of A would probably convince me to open my wallet up a little further based on that merit alone.  Either way, the costs will rise.  When China's blue collar class gets strong enough, they too will demand better living wages/benefits for their workers.  Then, Round 2 and Revell will have to look for another place to move their manufacturing operations to for low cost labor.              

On February 7, 2020 at 4:29 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

It'll need shallower wheels (borrowed from the '60 Ranchero?) and a set of those 3D-printed '63 Galaxie dog dishes to be perfect, but still a good idea.

Didn't Round2 improve the wheels and light bar in the recent issue of the Monaco? Thinking they also improved the push bar.

2 hours ago, alexis said:

Yeah, the new CHP Monaco kit, has a new Multi-piece Push Bar, to go with the new Wheels and Lightbar.

I believe the lightbar is from the Force 440 kit , either way, no complaints that Round2 took the time to put in accurate lightbar for the kit.

The wheels are from the 78 Pickup they did last year, so then only actual new parts will be the pushbar, again, no complaints.

Unfortunately, the wheels aren't 100%.  Better than the goon/tj/roscoe kits, but still not completely accurate. Unless you are building your Monaco as a 1977 model. The steel disc wheels like this new kit has were last used in 1977. The new, slotted wheels were optional on '77 Monacos/Furys, but in 1978 (which this kit is said to be), the slotted wheels were standard and the disc wheels went back to pickupland. 

And, PS:  I haven't gotten my hands on one of the newly issued CHP Monaco kits yet, but I've seen some pretty good pictures. I don't believe the light bar is the Force 440 light bar. The one in the new kit is better detailed and closer to accurate.  (That word again. ?

Edited by Danno

16 hours ago, Danno said:

And, PS:  I haven't gotten my hands on one of the newly issued CHP Monaco kits yet, but I've seen some pretty good pictures. I don't believe the light bar is the Force 440 light bar. The one in the new kit is better detailed and closer to accurate.  (That word again. ?

PS, I have gotten my hands on the kit and have seen even better in person pictures of the light bar , and I did a fair amount of research( for my videos, I want to be accurate, hey look!, that word again ) for a few minutes for the Force 440 lightbar, and what I can was able to ascertain , it's very close to the same light bar that is in the CHP kit, even to go as far as to say its the say tooling, the only difference I can see is the CHP version has the siren openings in the just the front side where as the one in the Force 440 kit as in the back side .  But insides look to be 100 exact.   I would love if someone had a light bar from the 440 kit they could post pics of.

I use this one here to help in coming to my conclusion

, and if you will be attending the Moonlight meeting for Feb 2020, I will happily bring the light bar with from the CHP kit so you too can see some even better in person photos of it.  

Edited by martinfan5

On 2/11/2020 at 12:26 AM, Danno said:

Unfortunately, the wheels aren't 100%.  Better than the goon/tj/roscoe kits, but still not completely accurate. Unless you are building your Monaco as a 1977 model. The steel disc wheels like this new kit has were last used in 1977. The new, slotted wheels were optional on '77 Monacos/Furys, but in 1978 (which this kit is said to be), the slotted wheels were standard and the disc wheels went back to pickupland. 

I can put my man pants on and admit that I was wrong,  you are correct Dan,  the lightbar in the CHP kits all newly tooled and not the same tooling from the Force 440, its very close but not the same.

31 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

The CHiP  Godge has two light vars and two sets of wheels, two push bars....lots of goodies.

The CHP Dodge only has one USABLE light bar because there are only light covers included for the new Federal Signal Twinsonic bar and none included for the old Federal Signal Aerodynic bar that has been in the kit for years. 

6 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

...whenever I see an old kit re-popped that really interests me, I'm tickled silly to get it...

I totally agree, Roadrunner. I'm very thankful for reissues, flea markets, hobby shops, internet forums, model clubs, swap meets, YouTubers, personal stashes, and estate sales.

You cats are keeping the flame alive; I salute you all.

Back in 2001, I threw away over 200 built models and gave away my stash; thought I'd never return to the hobby.

Came back to it in 2015, and am thrilled beyond belief to get my hands on original, or reissued, kits.

My tastes are expanding, and I'm loving Round 2's reissues of things I destroyed as a kid (Mack R685ST, 78 Pacer, Bad Company, WW2 Jeep), and things I never got around to building the first time(s) around (77 Pinto, 59 Imperial, Hijacker, Mount N Goat, 37 Chevy, etc.).

Looking forward to getting the 25 double T, 66 Chevy modified, 75 Datsun pickup, Vega funny car, Hemi Under Glass, BRAT, and squillions more.

Here's my vote for Round2 to bring back even more classic MPC kits: Bronco, Econoline (Stunt Van for the win), Chevette, D-50, Cavalier, EXP, Monza, Hemi Hunter Dart, and more more more.

Keep 'em comin', boys. We're here for you.

9 hours ago, Stef said:

I totally agree, Roadrunner. I'm very thankful for reissues, flea markets, hobby shops, internet forums, model clubs, swap meets, YouTubers, personal stashes, and estate sales.

You cats are keeping the flame alive; I salute you all.

Back in 2001, I threw away over 200 built models and gave away my stash; thought I'd never return to the hobby.

Came back to it in 2015, and am thrilled beyond belief to get my hands on original, or reissued, kits.

My tastes are expanding, and I'm loving Round 2's reissues of things I destroyed as a kid (Mack R685ST, 78 Pacer, Bad Company, WW2 Jeep), and things I never got around to building the first time(s) around (77 Pinto, 59 Imperial, Hijacker, Mount N Goat, 37 Chevy, etc.).

Looking forward to getting the 25 double T, 66 Chevy modified, 75 Datsun pickup, Vega funny car, Hemi Under Glass, BRAT, and squillions more.

Here's my vote for Round2 to bring back even more classic MPC kits: Bronco, Econoline (Stunt Van for the win), Chevette, D-50, Cavalier, EXP, Monza, Hemi Hunter Dart, and more more more.

Keep 'em comin', boys. We're here for you.

Right on! And let's not forget that many of these "old crock" kits can provide much-needed parts for kits that have never been reissued and never will be. For example, I'm working on restoring a '69 El Camino and '71 and '72 Chevelles, and the oft-reissued '69 and '70 Chevelles are great parts mines for this work. 

11 hours ago, Stef said:

When I moved out of my parents house around 1978, I left a lot of stuff behind. The closet that held all my models got infiltrated with termites.  In cleaning that up, my father threw out most of my model stash and collection.  He saved a few pieces, unbuilt kits, that I have to this day with termite damage to the boxes.

So like you, when I got back to the hobby in the late 1980s I was pleased to see I could buy a lot of the old kits again.  People take this for granted today that tooling from the last 60 years still exists.  Try that in any other business!  

2 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

When I moved out of my parents house around 1978, I left a lot of stuff behind. The closet that held all my models got infiltrated with termites.  In cleaning that up, my father threw out most of my model stash and collection.  He saved a few pieces, unbuilt kits, that I have to this day with termite damage to the boxes.

So like you, when I got back to the hobby in the late 1980s I was pleased to see I could buy a lot of the old kits again.  People take this for granted today that tooling from the last 60 years still exists.  Try that in any other business!  

WOW....about the same time when I moved out of my folks house I too lost a ton of stuff. 

Shortly after I moved my Dad got transferred to another state.......when I went to clean out my model closet.....all GONE!!

Folks explained they figured I didn't want all those dumb models.........sigh......lost a lot of kits and built ups.