Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

Wonderful work Francis.  Your ability to machine / fabricate bits and pieces for this truck in plastic are every bit as impressive as what you do in metal.  Your capturing ALL the details too, truly a unique AND top notch build by any standard.   cheers, tim

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Codi said:

Wonderful work Francis.  Your ability to machine / fabricate bits and pieces for this truck in plastic are every bit as impressive as what you do in metal.  Your capturing ALL the details too, truly a unique AND top notch build by any standard.   cheers, tim

Thanks for the kind and supportive comments Tim, I truly appreciate them and especially coming from a master of detail like you sir!

I can't wait to see your next update on your Maverick, you are certainly a good source of motivation for anyone who love extreme detail, in any case, I take great pleasure in contemplating your prowess!

Francis

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Francis, another great update,the bumper looks spot on.  Congratulations on 1000 replies, Thiss is one of the truly standout projects ever to have been  on this site.

Many thanks Ian, I didn't expect this much of interaction but I realize that there are a lot of parts in a car (or truck...) and this build have bring the reality of this to my eyes!  

Although I already have made a lot of parts until now, I still have a lot to do so I hope you keep following me (you and all the friends). 😊

Francis

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone,

Moving forward with more of the body components, I decided to make some headlight brackets to simulate those on the 1:1 D100.  These parts are not the easiest to make so I limited myself to something plausible because they will be mainly hidden with the front panels in place.  I started with plastic to test fit the part size and position but the final ones are aluminum, the outside perimeter will look like the chrome rings that hold the sealed beam headlight in place.  I also made some styrene shapes to simulate the embossing seen from behind the radiator frame by the front wheel well.  I have some other work done (not finished yet) on the front panel that I will show you soon.  Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Francis

Test part made with styrene on the rotary table.482_Headlight_Progress_1.JPG.ba0210be192070484b6d71b422f27ac0.JPG

I machined the sealed beam headlight from clear acrylic rods.483_Headlight_Progress_2.JPG.cca609d562d316bd90a1951131eacc49.JPG

Machined aluminum headlight brackets with sealed beam headlights.483b_Headlight_Final.JPG.a0dc3bd2c01eccac53f882ea9207d0a4.JPG

Test fit front view.483c_Headlight_Tast_1.JPG.63cdbd90f42e9b6ba653b9e53ccf89e4.JPG

Test fit side view, the headlights exceed the front panel exactly the way I wanted.483d_Headlight_Tast_2.JPG.d96ac1d0e47052e931bb513e7da00b9e.JPG

Embossing shapes made with styrene.489_Headlight_Emboss_Prog_2.JPG.2c0ad72e212344f6efa97a5ba1d303bf.JPG

The parts are permanently glued in place.490_Headlight_Emboss_Final.JPG.5220afa1d6d1d001652ca280c8132753.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to have to give you a call sometime Francis, I have a lot of questions in particular about how you're doing such a sweet job machining in plastic as well.  Really opens up possibilities.   Nicely done!   😎  Tim

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha, I knew it!   You've shown the proof.  Francis, your model is much better than the original, as your headlight housings will not rust!

Wonderful indeed, a true incentive!

Mike..

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2021 at 6:43 AM, Tortuga Kustomz said:

Awesome detail work on those headlights Francis, makes me work a little bit more on the ones i'm  building now 

Thanks Marcos,  With the primary goal of building as many parts as possible for this project, I thought of this idea for the headlights and although they are not perfect, it opens new possibilities to work with new materials. This truck is as much a laboratory as a scale model if I can put it that way...

Francis

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2021 at 7:00 AM, Codi said:

I'm going to have to give you a call sometime Francis, I have a lot of questions in particular about how you're doing such a sweet job machining in plastic as well.  Really opens up possibilities.   Nicely done!   😎  Tim

Good idea Tim, we would probably have a lot to talk about as I would love to know how to machine titanium like you do.  From enthusiast to enthusiast, the discussion could go on forever... 😊

Francis

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2021 at 2:52 PM, Mike Williams said:

Ha, I knew it!   You've shown the proof.  Francis, your model is much better than the original, as your headlight housings will not rust!

Wonderful indeed, a true incentive!

Mike..

Thanks Mike!  You're probably right about the rust problem, but it probably wouldn't have been used in winter, so they would have lasted forever anyway.

Spoiler Alert: I'll be painting the frame today and hope to begin assembly soon, starting the long and tedious work of installing the brake lines and electrical wiring. 😓

Francis

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2021 at 7:47 AM, mustang1989 said:

OMG!!! Man this just keeps getting better and better. Continuing your true to form kicking A$$ and taking names! spacer.png

Thank you for your always colorful comments my friend.  In any case, your support can only contribute to kick mine... and to motivate me!

Francis

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

Machining your own headlamp lenses? Ok now your just showing off! LOL

They are just pieces like many others Ian. It puts some light in my project...LOL

Francis

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone,

Before I dive into the tedious plumbing work, I realize that I forgot to share with you the last fabrication/modifications of the front panel.  I did the turn signals and separated the sign since it is in two separate parts on the real truck.  Before I start painting the frame I noticed that I forgot to make some important parts of the brake system. Using brass I machined the proportioning valve as its the starting point for the brake lines.  I will also have to make a Tee Valve for the rear brakes so I prefer to make this part before painting the frame as the part will be mounted on it and not on the differential cover.  Its not a very complex part to make so I might be able to finish this one before I go back to work.  Thanks for your patience, I hope to offer you some pictures of the beginning of the assembly soon even if I still have some parts to make, it will be updates of both in the future.  Comments are welcome!

Francis

Front panel is now a 2 separate parts with turn signals made from aluminum and tinted acrylic.495_Facia_Panel_Mod_1.JPG.6df732b7d9dcad99055adedcb9a9629c.JPG

Test fit.496_Facia_Panel_Mod_2.JPG.74ec95e55bf7a6d6eb3c902bb8a8c995.JPG

Beginning of the machining of the proportioning valve.503_Prop_Valve_Prog_1.JPG.d011a463d992d266b5d42e7c5d721617.JPG

Drilling holes using a 0.016'' drill bit.504_Prop_Valve_Prog_2.JPG.af2057b749ad0bc307547923cbe64f41.JPG

Drilled side by side, brake lines will be 0.014" steel wire.505_Prop_Valve_Prog_3.JPG.390c2f6dbfa9634e9121f25f86b9e9e4.JPG

I welded a small mounting bracket, the part is all brass.506_Prop_Valve_Final_1.JPG.d2ce0c71625a43b8319b2994934358f5.JPG

Different view.507_Prop_Valve_Final_2.JPG.072b86e373ecf4dc19033d71865413b6.JPG

Test fit on the "unpainted..." frame.  Note the added small aluminum stud ti simulate the sensor (I don't intend to connect a wire to it, it's just to fill the unused hole.)508_Prop_Valve_Test.JPG.7d488f437c8c173441c83e645fe2b5bb.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Charles!

Your excellent work forces me to innovate and your comments are a great source of motivation my friend, I hope to keep your interest on my project until the end of the build...

Francis

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything is looking great, Francis. I always eagerly anticipate your next update, but with such a complex and long-term build that surely takes almost all of your free time, do you ever feel yourself burming-out on the project?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello again everyone,

This is my second update this week, but despite the fact that little progress has been made, I'm happy to show you the painted frame with another small component for the brake system.  I made the t-valve and a small bracket to mount it on the frame above the differential, I'll run the flexible brake lines from there and connect them to the rear brake calipers.  I'm going to start assembly next week (my parts box is full...) and I need to see some different progress on this thing (probably you do too...).  I'll continue to build the remaining parts as I need them and hope to paint the many body parts in the next few weeks.  Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Francis

T-valve at early stage in the milling chuck.509_Tee_Valve_Prog_1.JPG.d3fba14a508b81c27ed217b5375b2b1e.JPG

Drilling in progress using a 0.016" drill bit.510_Tee_Valve_Prog_2.JPG.366df499a3c844cced5bdbcda7f15986.JPG

Final t-valve before the mounting bracket added.511_Tee_Valve_Prog_3.JPG.76b41c2ddfd9f817264632ca63426afb.JPG

Mounting bracket welded.512_Tee_Valve_Final.JPG.8612eba006b32dfff095246377623865.JPG

Test fit on the frame, I made a small plastic support to mount it above the differential.513_Tee_Valve_Test.JPG.a95b952b0e9657ec93aa323f07e4d730.JPG

Back in black... freshly painted in semi-gloss black (Tamiya).514_Frame_Painted_1.JPG.54aacd6124e515161006d9fa7c2a858e.JPG

Other side view.  It will dry until next week for the beginning of some assembly. 😊515_Frame_Painted_2.JPG.7a0276262d4ed2f3fe84cd808e8bf98c.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Bainford said:

Everything is looking great, Francis. I always eagerly anticipate your next update, but with such a complex and long-term build that surely takes almost all of your free time, do you ever feel yourself burming-out on the project?

Thanks Trevor, I'm always happy to get your visit and comments my friend!

You know, I was aware from the beginning that this was going to be a very difficult build and I decided to go even further than I had ever done in terms of detail.  Sure I would like things to go faster but I am using my free time for a hobby I love and I also see it as a good exercise for my brain, it's what I call a win-win situation!

I only hope I don't come to discourage my loyal partners who take the time to comment and follow my progress... 😁

Francis

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Hello again everyone,

This is my second update this week, but despite the fact that little progress has been made, I'm happy to show you the painted frame with another small component for the brake system.  I made the t-valve and a small bracket to mount it on the frame above the differential, I'll run the flexible brake lines from there and connect them to the rear brake calipers.  I'm going to start assembly next week (my parts box is full...) and I need to see some different progress on this thing (probably you do too...).  I'll continue to build the remaining parts as I need them and hope to paint the many body parts in the next few weeks.  Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Francis

T-valve at early stage in the milling chuck.509_Tee_Valve_Prog_1.JPG.d3fba14a508b81c27ed217b5375b2b1e.JPG

Drilling in progress using a 0.016" drill bit.510_Tee_Valve_Prog_2.JPG.366df499a3c844cced5bdbcda7f15986.JPG

Final t-valve before the mounting bracket added.511_Tee_Valve_Prog_3.JPG.76b41c2ddfd9f817264632ca63426afb.JPG

Mounting bracket welded.512_Tee_Valve_Final.JPG.8612eba006b32dfff095246377623865.JPG

Test fit on the frame, I made a small plastic support to mount it above the differential.513_Tee_Valve_Test.JPG.a95b952b0e9657ec93aa323f07e4d730.JPG

Back in black... freshly painted in semi-gloss black (Tamiya).514_Frame_Painted_1.JPG.54aacd6124e515161006d9fa7c2a858e.JPG

Other side view.  It will dry until next week for the beginning of some assembly. 😊515_Frame_Painted_2.JPG.7a0276262d4ed2f3fe84cd808e8bf98c.JPG

Hi Francis!

Great, but wait... Where is the rotisserie that you used for the painting? Just curious...

CT 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I only hope I don't come to discourage my loyal partners who take the time to comment and follow my progress... 😁

Francis

Not much chance of that.  My biggest challenge is to learn from your demonstrated mastery and apply that newly learned technique in such a way that doesn’t completely embarrass me when compared to your original.  Currently, those hood hinges have got me very frustrated.  Try as I have, I just have not been able to come up with something that I would consider acceptable.  Forget about comparable. 

TCOTTC

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess The Friendly Giant must still be around! You got him to hold the T-fitting for your brakes, I see. Bet you didn't think a "kid" from  the US would even know about that show! Where I grew up, we had as much TV from Canada, as we did from this side of  the border. As always, Francis, your work is exemplary. And inspirational. Excellent job, my friend!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...