Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Did You Accomplish Today? (Model Car Work)

0333C5F6-D88D-403A-8E92-E6E390A87CBA.jpeg.0990325760ef39ed5f471a3cfb86faae.jpeg

Worked a bit on the Studebaker Gullwing this weekend. The suspension is very fiddly and took a bit of doing to get the chassis assembled. Model is 30 years old and first time up on wheels!

248EEE5E-4F76-4493-B97D-05C0CCC12B54.jpeg.ac0da993416f7a9d197830f7f1f53150.jpeg

Body sitting on chassis. Wheelbase is a bit off, my first early attempt at a heavy mod.

4BFE4B51-BA3C-4A5B-9552-C76C91B2FF52.jpeg.09c761513675f38d1e2dd5fc43989bb0.jpeg

Did manage to quarrel with a number 11 blade, which also hampered progress.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Finished the foilwork on my '66 Skylark, and got the black trim on the Buick sport wheels, both tasks I'd been dreading. Have started Silver Sharpie-ing the window trim. I think I'm on track to get it finished by the end of the month. I hope. 

Edited by Snake45

1 hour ago, JollySipper said:

Tom, man, I love the '59 Buicks! They look customized from the factory........ What's your wheel choice for this one?

Thanks! Yeah they were definitely a factory custom. Not sure yet what wheels I'll go with. Thinking maybe 58 Vette or something similar. Any ideas?

42 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Goodness thats a shiny finish Tom.

Thanks Mike Later! Although that is about two minutes after I sprayed the third coat of clear  so it's still wet. Hopefully it will look that shiny when polished.

Later-

20 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Thanks! Yeah they were definitely a factory custom. Not sure yet what wheels I'll go with.

Have to admit I'm a stock wheel cover guy, but I'd have to agree with the wide whites and either wires or chrome reverse.  Not sure which direction you're headed, but the big boat Buick looks killer when lowered with wide whites and custom wheels.

1959_buick_invicta-pic-1437266342866344345-1600x1200.jpeg

Edited by hedotwo

14 minutes ago, hedotwo said:

Have to admit I'm a stock wheel cover guy, but I'd have to agree with the wide whites and either wires or chrome reverse.  Not sure which direction you're headed, but the big boat Buick looks killer when lowered with wide whites and custom wheels.

1959_buick_invicta-pic-1437266342866344345-1600x1200.jpeg

That's a nice looking ride Rich! I actually have a set of resin wheels that look a lot like those. I think I've found my plan!

Later-

Last couple days, got the hood neatly cut from the '70 Buick Wildcat and filled the holes left by the screw/interior posts, then went after the engine. I removed the misaligned driver's side cylinder head, intake manifold and front cover with a lot of careful scraping and sawing with a photoetched blade. Got them to fit straight with no gaps - and now looking on "Wanted!" for some 455 valve covers.