Model Cars Magazine Forum

62 Comet

falcon wagon

Yes I like it. I went with my parents to look at a new one in late 61 or early 62. I think the "sporty" version was called the S-22. They did not buy it but I sure liked the bucket seats. I see you are a Falcon guy. So am I. had a 65 V-8 4-speed hardtop for a few years and sometimes wish I still had it.

2 minutes ago, Phildaupho said:

Yes I like it. I went with my parents to look at a new one in late 61 or early 62. I think the "sporty" version was called the S-22. They did not buy it but I sure liked the bucket seats. I see you are a Falcon guy. So am I. had a 65 V-8 4-speed hardtop for a few years and sometimes wish I still had it.

Your right Phil, the sport model of the Comet line, introduced midway into the '61 model run was called the S-22. And this remained true in '62, and '63. In 1964 the S-22 was replaced by the Caliente, and later the Cyclone. In the intermediate Meteor line, the sport model was called the S-33. (Later the Canadian Meteors brought back that name for their sporty full-sizer.) The sporty full-size Mercurys (US) for '62 and '63 were S-55s. And full-size S-55s returned again in '66 and '67. Why S-22 and S-33, than skipping S-44 for S-55? I don't know?